You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (late 2013) desktop startup slow after Monterey upgrade

Hello! I've just upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey. I'm experiencing quite a lag in time for my full desktop to appear. An empty screen is what you see while waiting for the desktop to fully appear. Also Logic Pro, takes more time to fully open. Big Sur, was running great. Though I updated to Monterey so I can use the latest Logic Pro version. All my plugs & apps are up to date.

Anyone have a clue what may be happening here? I'd hate to have to downgrade back to Big Sur, and lose the latest Logic Pro update.

Thanks in advance!

my Mac specs:

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

500 gb SSD formatted with APFS

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 8:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 2:14 AM

I found the issue by taking a stab at reading the report file. I'm ignorant at Code. Though the report mentioned panics related to some old KEXT files. Even though I deleted the old apps affiliated with these files, the KEXT files remained. I used an external startup disc to be able to access these files and simply trash them. All is fine now.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2022 2:14 AM in response to KrisInBerlin

I found the issue by taking a stab at reading the report file. I'm ignorant at Code. Though the report mentioned panics related to some old KEXT files. Even though I deleted the old apps affiliated with these files, the KEXT files remained. I used an external startup disc to be able to access these files and simply trash them. All is fine now.

Nov 5, 2022 1:00 PM in response to KrisInBerlin

If you’ve just recently updated, your Mac is probably indexing spotlight. Usually with any update and certainly with a full OS change, it take the Mac some time to go though all the files for faster searching.

I would expect that if you’re using this for many projects and have a bunch of temp/scratch files, it’ll take some time to go though.

if you look at your activity monitor (in the utilities folder in your applications) and see what’s using the most CPU performance, it should show this.

once it’s done with that, you should notice the speed go back

Nov 8, 2022 11:43 PM in response to DeathStalker13

Finally able to see if what you recommend works! I did such with some other tweaks, and it seems it's fine. Though a bigger problem has occurred. When I go to shut down, it moves toward the process though then restarts. I'm now unable to shut down, unless I do a hard-shut with the power button. I performed VRAM & SMC reset. Cleared Power options. Ran Disk Utility and even reinstalled Monterey. To no avail, nothing has worked. Leaving me to have to revert unfortunately back to Big Sur. Monterey, has been a real bummer reminding me of my old PC days of head aches. It's the first OS I've ever had issues with. I believe that it's may be possible that this new Mac "Universal Control" may be the culprit. It's an app in within Coreservices that can't be deleted or turned off. When I use the Activity monitor, it seems to make random spikes to my CPU and my fan works harder with Monterey as well to keep it cool. Bummer. I'm clueless to the real cause.

Nov 9, 2022 10:29 AM in response to KrisInBerlin

It is extremely unlikely to be an unresolved bug in MacOS. It is far, far more likely a software conflict with something you installed.

The quick test is to restart in Safe mode, where no third-party add-ons can be auto-loaded.

the more complex way to to retrieve the crash report and post it here for analysis.

please keep readers informed about what you are doing.

Mac Pro (late 2013) desktop startup slow after Monterey upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.