You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Screen Mirroring only receiving but not transmitting

My MacBook Pro (14-Inch, 2021) M1 Max can receive screen mirroring from both my iPhone and from my older MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). Both laptops are running macOS Monterey 12.6.

However, the M1 Max laptop is unable to transmit screen mirroring at all.

Under System Preferences->Displays. There is no option to 'add display' (unlike the older laptop)

And selecting Screen Mirroring, produces no list of devices to transmit a mirrored screen to...

Am I missing something or is something wrong with my laptop?

Thank you

Aaron's 14" MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 10:11 PM

5 replies

Nov 8, 2022 6:31 PM in response to aMerrittcw

aMerrittcw,

You may find some helpful details regarding the requirements and a note that may pertain to the situation here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch

On here it'll help to note:

"AirPlay to Mac works best with these devices and operating systems.

• MacBook introduced in 2018 or later
  • MacBook Pro introduced in 2018 or later
  • MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
  • Mac mini introduced in 2020 or later
  • iMac introduced in 2019 or later
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac Pro introduced in 2019 or later
  • Mac Studio"

As the 2015 Mac is outside of that range it will help to note the following to check on:

You can AirPlay to Mac at a lower video resolution from older iPhone, iPad, and Mac models and operating systems if the supported Mac has the AirPlay Receiver setting in Sharing settings configured to allow AirPlay for either Everyone or “Anyone on the same network”.

Cheers.

Nov 8, 2022 5:39 PM in response to aMerrittcw

Hello aMerrittcw,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Do you see this symbol when playing videos:

"Play movies and more on the big screen

It’s easy to play movies, TV shows, and videos on the big screen of your TV. On your Mac, open the Apple TV app , start the show, click the AirPlay video icon in the playback controls, then select your Apple TV or smart TV. See Control what’s playing in the Apple TV app on Mac.

The playback controls in the Apple TV app. The AirPlay video icon is below the progress bar."

More details can be found here: Stream audio and video from your Mac with AirPlay

If so, and the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Which devices are you trying to AirPlay to? Also, do you know if those devices are compatible with AirPlay 2?

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2022 6:06 PM in response to Omar_A1

my 14" MacBook pro M1 Max (2021) now with MacOS Ventura 13 has the icon you mentioned but it does not display any available destinations.

my 15" MacBook pro (2015) with MacOS Monterey 12.6.1 has the icon as well and can set as it's destination my M1 Max and screen mirror to it.

my iPhone SE iOS 16.0.3 can set my M1 Max as a destination as well and can screen mirror to it.

my iPhone can not set my 15" MacBook pro as a destination for screen mirroring

and my M1 Max can not set my 15" MacBook pro as a destination for airplay or screen mirroring.

Airplay Screen Mirroring only receiving but not transmitting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.