You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More than one Version Macos. Does Ventura change something about more than one version of Macos?

I have been using two versions of Macos on two different partitions of my Macbook Pro for about 10 years and had no problems. Will that change after Ventura? Currently it works also with Monterey and Ventura.

The guy for technical IT assistence at the ZHdK University in Zurich said, thar apple does not want it anymore…and there could be problems.

thanks for some elucidations

Best David Thorner

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 3:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 7:14 AM

davidfromwinterthur wrote:

I have been using two versions of Macos on two different partitions of my Macbook Pro for about 10 years and had no problems. Will that change after Ventura? Currently it works also with Monterey and Ventura.
The guy for technical IT assistence at the ZHdK University in Zurich said, thar apple does not want it anymore…and there could be problems.
Best David Thorner

See the references—

Use more than one version of macOS on a Mac - Apple Support

We can not speculate on unreleased OS—

personally I see no reason why you suspect this would change...

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2022 7:14 AM in response to davidfromwinterthur

Best David Thorner

See the references—

Use more than one version of macOS on a Mac - Apple Support

We can not speculate on unreleased OS—

personally I see no reason why you suspect this would change...

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Nov 7, 2022 8:16 AM in response to davidfromwinterthur

No, but thanks anyway

We all had to sign/agree to the TOU in order to participate here—you can review for yourself...

Submissions—

do not post Submissions about non-technical topics, including:

Speculation or rumors about unannounced products.

ref: Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Nov 7, 2022 9:37 AM in response to davidfromwinterthur

Sorry I am of German / Italian mother language.
I did not get which product you are refering to. Monterey or Ventura, or MacBook Pro?

best
David Thorner

?

from the original post:

"I have been using two versions of Macos on two different partitions of my Macbook Pro for about 10 years and had no problems. Will that change after Ventura? Currently it works also with Monterey and Ventura."

You may have better understanding here if you still have an issue:

Offizielle Apple Support Community

Apple Support Communities - German

good luck !

Nov 7, 2022 8:05 AM in response to davidfromwinterthur

If your setup currently works with the current operating system, and you are happy with it, then you should be fine.

Apple doesn't really support this configuration and hasn't for a few years. It is usually possible to do it, but only if you are an advanced user. No one, including Apple, is likely to help if you get into trouble. These days, it is so much easier to use a VM for most use cases. Monterey and Ventura are virtually identical. There is little need to be able to switch between them. If you had dependencies on 32-bit software, then Catalina would be a bigger deal.

Nov 7, 2022 9:42 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Apple doesn't really support this configuration and hasn't for a few years.

Why do you say that? The link provided earlier from Apple tells how to do it and is dated 2022. The expertise required to make a new apfs volume is minimal. I've used this kind of configuration often, including a few days ago for Ventura, with no problems.

Nov 7, 2022 9:46 AM in response to davidfromwinterthur

davidfromwinterthur wrote: The guy for technical IT assistence at the ZHdK University in Zurich said, thar apple does not want it anymore…and there could be problems.

Could you get your IT guy to provide a reference? I have not seen any thing like that myself, and like you am running Ventura and earlier MacOS versions on different volumes or containers without problems.

Nov 7, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Why do you say that? The link provided earlier from Apple tells how to do it and is dated 2022. The expertise required to make a new apfs volume is minimal. I've used this kind of configuration often, including a few days ago for Ventura, with no problems.

Because saying anything else opens up an awkward discussion of what "support" actually entails. I've seen far too many Apple technologies that are "supported" and "documented", but should never, ever be used. It is easier to say that Apple doesn't support it and to offer some alternatives that are objectively better.

If you, or the OP, is able to run happily with multiple OS versions, more power to you. But I'm not about to recommend it.

More than one Version Macos. Does Ventura change something about more than one version of Macos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.