You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil to iPad 10th gen

Recently bought the new iPad 10th gen and I’m very confused on how to pair the Apple Pencil 1st gen because it comes with an adapter but apparently

will only charge the pencil ? I have to buy another adapter just to pair it ? Makes no sense to me and they are all

sold out around me so I can’t use my pencil until the Apple adapter comes in the mail , is there any other way to pair it besides having to buy 10 more things that it should have already come with in the packaging ?

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 2:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 3:03 PM

The first generation Pencil is charged and paired from iPad10 using the iPad charging cable - and an Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

New first generation Pencils now ship with this special adapter in the box along with the Pencil. Some older stock purchased from retailers may lack the USB-C to Lightning adapter - and may instead have an older Lightning to Lightning Adapter.

For owners of older first generation Pencils, or for “old stock” new Pencils, the new special adapter can be purchased directly from Apple as an accessory.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2022 3:03 PM in response to MLantz13

The first generation Pencil is charged and paired from iPad10 using the iPad charging cable - and an Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

New first generation Pencils now ship with this special adapter in the box along with the Pencil. Some older stock purchased from retailers may lack the USB-C to Lightning adapter - and may instead have an older Lightning to Lightning Adapter.

For owners of older first generation Pencils, or for “old stock” new Pencils, the new special adapter can be purchased directly from Apple as an accessory.

Nov 8, 2022 3:20 PM in response to MLantz13

Pairing is automatic - and requires no user interaction beyond making the wired connection between the iPad and Pencil.

When paired, you should see the Pencil showing as “connected” in Bluetooth Settings:

Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices > Apple Pencil

While connected by cable to the iPad, you should also see an entry for the Pencil here:

Settings > General > About > Apple Pencil - tap to see technical details

This support page may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Nov 8, 2022 3:07 PM in response to LotusPilot

I got the adapter in the pencil box brand new from Best Buy because the Apple store was out and both ends hook up to an iPhone charger and then I have the cord that has the C part on one end and the normal charger part on the other so I can get everything attached and hooked up to my iPad but it just doesn’t show anything about pairing my pencil at all

Nov 8, 2022 3:58 PM in response to MLantz13

Yes, you need the correct adapter as already outlined.

If you purchased your first generation Pencil at the same time as your iPad10, you should perhaps return the Pencil that you have to your retailer - and exchange it for the new boxed Pencil that includes the correct adapter.

If purchased directly from Apple, you have 14-days within which to unconditionally return an Apple item for exchange or refund.

If instead the Pencil was purchased from another retail outlet, you’ll need to verify their returns policy. However, if purchased alongside the iPad10, it is reasonable to assume that you will have been sold the correct boxed Pencil - - inclusive of the correct adapter.

Apple Pencil to iPad 10th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.