You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend screen: 2 iMacs (2017 and 2015). Is is possible

Hello all, I have an iMac 27 inch 2017, running macOS Ventura. And I have also an iMac 27 inch from late 2015.

I want to add the 2015 machine to my 2017 iMac so that I have an extended screen.

I only read different messages about the possibility to do so because the 2017 machine would be to new or based on the fact that it runs macOS Ventura.

Can anybody tell me if its possible to use the 2015 iMac to extend the screen in combination with my 2017 iMac?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 7:49 AM

Not possible with Target Display Mode. Both devices are too new. Please carefully read the limited OS and hardware requirements for TDM, whose deprecation Apple started in late 2014(!):

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

The new Airplay to Mac is not available to 2015 and 2017 iMacs:

System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

You have two remaining options, both of which may be "laggy." Network Screen Sharing is described here:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

There are also some third-party options but I have not used them. A web search for "Mac screen share software" should turn them up. I recall Luna Display and Duet Display as names posted here recently.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2022 7:49 AM in response to ad6922

Not possible with Target Display Mode. Both devices are too new. Please carefully read the limited OS and hardware requirements for TDM, whose deprecation Apple started in late 2014(!):

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

The new Airplay to Mac is not available to 2015 and 2017 iMacs:

System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

You have two remaining options, both of which may be "laggy." Network Screen Sharing is described here:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

There are also some third-party options but I have not used them. A web search for "Mac screen share software" should turn them up. I recall Luna Display and Duet Display as names posted here recently.

Extend screen: 2 iMacs (2017 and 2015). Is is possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.