You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos only from icould?

I don't want to keep photos on iCloud. How do I delete photos only from iCloud without deleting them from my Mac or iOS devices?

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 9:47 AM

The photos are synced across all devices. Deleting them from iCloud will delete them from all of your devices. You will first need to disable iCloud syncing on any devices before removing the photos from iCloud.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

8 replies

Nov 10, 2022 10:39 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the help!

When I try to turn offiCloud syncing it warns me that all the photos on my Mac will also be deleted, but full resolution photos will remain in the cloud. That's the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. How do I keep photos on my Mac, but remove them from the cloud only? (I only want to keep docs and device backups on iCloud.)

Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM in response to andy zydekat

I believe you're getting that warning because you have optimization enabled. If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. You'll need to download the originals first. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photo Library. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Nov 10, 2022 12:24 PM in response to andy zydekat

I think we did it!

But first, just to be sure, I created a new Photos album on the Mac, and did not turn on sync.

Then I went to iCloud Photos and deleted a test image I could live without.

Then I checked my photo libraries on all devices, and found the photo I had deleted from iCloud was still present wherever it had been previously (searched using Power Photos, from Fat Cat Software).

Maybe the key is to break any connections that exist between the cloud and your devices, so that even if it wants to, iCloud can't touch your local files. I dunno... "I'm just a bass player, Jim, I'm not a doctor!"

How do I delete photos only from icould?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.