You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete macOS installation from usb drive

Hey all, not sure how I did this exactly, but I was trying to reinstall macOS Monterey on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro. When I was asked what disk to install it in I chose the usb stick.

something went sideways during the install on the Apple logo loading screen and I had to restart my computer. The computer is fine and starts up normal. But when I try to delete and reformat the usb drive it says that a writable disk is required. Nothing I do with first aid or trying to format it through the boot menu works. Any suggestions on how to properly clear this usb? It doesn’t even show up on my window pc when I plug it in.

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 10:12 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 13, 2022 1:14 PM in response to LoganKn

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical USB stick and erase it as GUID partition and the file system of your choice depending on how you want to use the USB stick. You may first need to delete the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume which should prompt you to erase the whole Volume Group or Container. Sometimes even this will not work because macOS & Disk Utility have issues with some special partition schemes.

I haven't used Windows much recently, but you may need to first delete all partitions from the USB stick before you can format it again. If you don't see the physical USB stick with Windows, then it likely means the USB stick is bad (assuming Windows on a non-Apple PC since I'm not sure how Windows Bootcamp will handle a drive which macOS has trouble).

Unable to delete macOS installation from usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.