You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Time Capsule/Time Machine

I have an old Time Capsule (square and flat) that I don't use as WiFi Access Point anymore and want to use it purely as a backup disk for my MacBook Air. Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 12:02 PM

Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

Can you? Yes

Will it work? Different answer. For example, say your MacBook Air is connecting to your Wi-Fi network (it likely is). The Time Capsule will be connected over Ethernet (Thunderbolt), so you will have to Turn Off Wi-Fi on the Mac when you connect to the Time Capsule to back up, then when the back up has completed, you will have to turn the Wi-Fi back on so the Mac will reconnect to your Wi-Fi router.

So yes, it will "work" sort of, but most users would find this way too cumbersome to use on a regular basis.

The correct setup would have your Time Capsule connecting to your Wi-Fi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. Then, you can select your normal Wi-Fi network that the Mac is using and back up over that Wi-Fi connection to the Time Capsule without having to "change connections" to back up.

In other words, you won't be using the Time Capsule Wi-Fi, so you could turn off the Wi-Fi function on the Time Capsule if you wish.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2022 12:02 PM in response to pnaude

Can I connect the TC to my Macbook Air with a Lan (TC) to USB MacBook) adaptor?

Can you? Yes

Will it work? Different answer. For example, say your MacBook Air is connecting to your Wi-Fi network (it likely is). The Time Capsule will be connected over Ethernet (Thunderbolt), so you will have to Turn Off Wi-Fi on the Mac when you connect to the Time Capsule to back up, then when the back up has completed, you will have to turn the Wi-Fi back on so the Mac will reconnect to your Wi-Fi router.

So yes, it will "work" sort of, but most users would find this way too cumbersome to use on a regular basis.

The correct setup would have your Time Capsule connecting to your Wi-Fi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. Then, you can select your normal Wi-Fi network that the Mac is using and back up over that Wi-Fi connection to the Time Capsule without having to "change connections" to back up.

In other words, you won't be using the Time Capsule Wi-Fi, so you could turn off the Wi-Fi function on the Time Capsule if you wish.

Old Time Capsule/Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.