You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update firmware on AirPods

How do I update my AirPods?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 6:15 AM

You don't need to update your AirPods; it happens automatically.

Apple explains this in the support document About firmware updates for AirPods which you seem to have been viewing prior to posting your question:

Firmware updates are delivered periodically while your AirPods are charging and in Bluetooth range of your iPhone; your iPad with iPadOS 16.1 or later; or your Mac with macOS Ventura.

Because firmware updates are delivered automatically, you don't need to update your AirPods.

The same document lists the current firmware number for these products:

Latest firmware versions

• AirPods Pro (2nd generation): 5A377
  • AirPods Pro (1st generation): 4E71
  • AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation): 4E71
  • AirPods Max: 4E71
  • AirPods (1st generation): 6.8.8

and if further shows that you can check the firmware version on yours by using your iPhone to navigate to Settings > Bluetooth, then tap the Info button  next to the name of your AirPods. Scroll down to the About section to find the firmware version.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2022 6:15 AM in response to Bigike247

You don't need to update your AirPods; it happens automatically.

Apple explains this in the support document About firmware updates for AirPods which you seem to have been viewing prior to posting your question:

Firmware updates are delivered periodically while your AirPods are charging and in Bluetooth range of your iPhone; your iPad with iPadOS 16.1 or later; or your Mac with macOS Ventura.

Because firmware updates are delivered automatically, you don't need to update your AirPods.

The same document lists the current firmware number for these products:

Latest firmware versions

• AirPods Pro (2nd generation): 5A377
  • AirPods Pro (1st generation): 4E71
  • AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation): 4E71
  • AirPods Max: 4E71

and if further shows that you can check the firmware version on yours by using your iPhone to navigate to Settings > Bluetooth, then tap the Info button  next to the name of your AirPods. Scroll down to the About section to find the firmware version.

Nov 16, 2022 9:35 AM in response to David McKinlay

The list at About firmware updates for AirPods - Apple Support

Latest firmware versions

• AirPods Pro (2nd generation): 5B58
  • AirPods Pro (1st generation): 5B58
  • AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation): 5B58
  • AirPods Max: 5B58

So according to the list, my 2nd gen AirPods should be running 5B58 but it does not. I'm stuck at version 4E71. I got iPhone SE connected to AirPods sitting inside the charger (both are 100% charged). Left them alone for about 15 minutes. Nothing changed. Yes iPhone SE has internet access over WiFi.

How do I update firmware on AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.