You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 2017iMac running Catalina- it won't upgrade to Monterey

I have a 2017 21.5" iMac running 10.15.7 MacOS. When I go to update the Mac OS in System Preferences, it gives me the spinning ball of death.

I have also tried going to Apple support and clicking on the OS update which takes me to the app store- which sends me back to Software Update in System Preferences.

I have plenty of space (470GB free on a 1TB fusion drive).

I have disconnected external drives.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 6:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 7:26 PM

Third party AV-ware, Ad-ware, Optimizers, Utilities and VNC’s can block macOS updates and upgrades.

Startup your iMac in Safe Mode and see if it will Update.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Another obstacle could be week or slow Internet. If you have Internet issues, try moving your iMac closer to your router or use an Ethernet cable if possible.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2022 7:26 PM in response to DeutschMark1997

Third party AV-ware, Ad-ware, Optimizers, Utilities and VNC’s can block macOS updates and upgrades.

Startup your iMac in Safe Mode and see if it will Update.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Another obstacle could be week or slow Internet. If you have Internet issues, try moving your iMac closer to your router or use an Ethernet cable if possible.

I have 2017iMac running Catalina- it won't upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.