You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro - 2016 (with Touchbar) - Builtin Keyboard Issues

Hi all,

Having a weird problem with my MacBook at the moment, and it's started happening all of a sudden without warning.

The issue makes the keyboard completely non responsive, what is weird is the Touch Bar and trackpad work. I believe these are all connected in some way, so if one failed the rest should right?

This happens normally when the MacBook goes dormant, I sometimes just close the lid and pick back up when I need to use it, the keyboard can go unresponsive from that point. However, there is no sequence.

I've wiped the MacBook, I've tried creating a new user and the same issue happens so I don't believe this is a software problem.

I'm using that same keyboard right now without any issue, so it comes and goes.

To make it work again. I restart / shutdown multiple times and then all of a sudden it will start working... its frustrating and can sometimes take about 10 tries.

Anyone else had this issue?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 2:32 PM

Downsy2023 wrote:

Hi all,

Having a weird problem with my MacBook at the moment, and it's started happening all of a sudden without warning.

The issue makes the keyboard completely non responsive, what is weird is the Touch Bar and trackpad work. I believe these are all connected in some way, so if one failed the rest should right?

This happens normally when the MacBook goes dormant, I sometimes just close the lid and pick back up when I need to use it, the keyboard can go unresponsive from that point. However, there is no sequence.

I've wiped the MacBook, I've tried creating a new user and the same issue happens so I don't believe this is a software problem.

To make it work again. I restart / shutdown multiple times and then all of a sudden it will start working... its frustrating and can sometimes take about 10 tries.

Sounds like a hardware issue—

Track pad/keyboard cable is really flat Mylar® ribbon w/ printed circuit traces— these traces can develop faults over time...

In the case of an intermittent generic failure, the electrical continuity of a cracked trace on both sides of the crack is very often a function of the temperature of the unit at the point where the crack exists.

Some production years were more susceptible then others.

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

most any computer repair store that works on mac can diagnosis/replace the cable or upper case if necessary, if cost effective.

A work-a-round is to use an external keyboard / trackpad if necessary.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2022 2:32 PM in response to Downsy2023

Downsy2023 wrote:

Hi all,

Sounds like a hardware issue—

Track pad/keyboard cable is really flat Mylar® ribbon w/ printed circuit traces— these traces can develop faults over time...

In the case of an intermittent generic failure, the electrical continuity of a cracked trace on both sides of the crack is very often a function of the temperature of the unit at the point where the crack exists.

Some production years were more susceptible then others.

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

most any computer repair store that works on mac can diagnosis/replace the cable or upper case if necessary, if cost effective.

A work-a-round is to use an external keyboard / trackpad if necessary.

Macbook Pro - 2016 (with Touchbar) - Builtin Keyboard Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.