You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I back up my iPhone 13 (iOS 16.11) to my 2010 vintage MacBook Pro (iOS v. 10.13.6 High Sierra - not further upgradable)?

How can I back up my iPhone 13 (iOS 16.11) to my 2010 vintage MacBook Pro (iOS v. 10.13.6 High Sierra - not further upgradable)?

iPhone 13

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:39 AM

Plug it in via Lightning to USB to Lightning cable, and see if it shows up in iTunes, click on the device icon, and then on the device name on the side bar, then on Backup.

If it asks for an update, accept, it, it will just be a firmware update for iTunes to connect to the iPhone, it will not be a full macOS update.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2022 9:39 AM in response to OldMiniMe

Plug it in via Lightning to USB to Lightning cable, and see if it shows up in iTunes, click on the device icon, and then on the device name on the side bar, then on Backup.

If it asks for an update, accept, it, it will just be a firmware update for iTunes to connect to the iPhone, it will not be a full macOS update.

Nov 30, 2022 7:24 AM in response to Alan Benzie

Alan Benzie wrote:

Yes that's the very first thing I did.

I think the problem the OP and myself is having is due to the latest iOS update making the iPhone and the Mac OS incompatible (at least until there is a patch for iTunes, perhaps).

I don't think so.

My iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 16.1.1 works fine with my 2011 Mac Mini on High Sierra. No incompatibility at all.

I think there is something else going on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.