You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey Update Stuck

I tried to update to Monterey (I forget which version) two nights ago, and has been “updating” since. The update is stuck - black screen with apple logo and progress bar about 1/3 of the way across. Every few seconds the screen goes black, then the apple logo and progress bar reappear until the progress bar is about 1/3 of the way complete again, and then the screen goes black and the cycle repeats. I can power off my Mac, but when I power back on, it resumes the same cycle. Not sure how to stop the update, and get back to being able to use my Mac again - please advise!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 2:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 4:11 AM

Disconnect ALL or any External Drives

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - This may or may not allow the update to complete

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2022 4:11 AM in response to jep1717_

Disconnect ALL or any External Drives

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - This may or may not allow the update to complete

Mac OS Monterey Update Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.