You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playhead in Logic moves back to 1 when hitting stop

Hi! After the latest Mac update when I'm in Logic listening to playback if I hit stop, the playhead jumps back to one. I need to be able to have it stay where I stopped, then hit play from there.

I've tried all the options under the playhead command (turning them on and off), like cycle, play from marquee selection, etc. Looping is not one, nothing I've seen in discussion boards is on to indicate it should do this.

I'm at a total loss, any help appreciated, thank you.

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 4:08 PM

Found the issue,

Go to Navigate>Stop Button Options>and make sure you have Stop checked (and not Stop and go to Left Locator)

Good Luck.

12 replies

Dec 17, 2022 11:02 PM in response to Captain Carter

I just discovered the exact same problem posted by Captain Carter. The playhead jumps back to wherever the left cycle is set at, even if it's not turned on to Cycle Mode. The playhead should just stop and stay exactly in the position it was in when you hit the spacebar (or click the Stop Button with the mouse). Ahh, but I just found the solution...there is a small drop down triangle on the Stop Button. Mine was set to Stop and Go to Left Locator. I unchecked that option and selected Stop. Now it is doing what I want it to do. Perhaps that option was always there, but somehow it changed and was not the way I wanted it behave. Anyway, now I can sleep tonight.

Nov 23, 2022 11:58 AM in response to Captain Carter

Space bar and stop playback button, should NOT do that. I'd recommend you go into System Settings, to Keyboard, Shortcuts, and hit the Reset Defaults button (or however they word it on your version of macOS). Then try it again. But no, the playhead should just stop where it is and not move at all.

Are you using a third party keyboard? Are you using the latest version of all involved software?

Control playback in Logic Pro - Apple Support

Nov 28, 2022 11:11 PM in response to kerochan

Ok, that's something! Now if I manually locate the playhead and hit play, then when I hit stop the playhead returns to one but when I hit play it jumps to the last place I positioned the playhead.

However, I'd love to get it so when I hit stop it just stops. And when I hit play it starts from where it stopped, not where I manually last moved it.

Thanks for helping! I did not know about that control bar cue, so at the very least I can get it to return to manual positions

Playhead in Logic moves back to 1 when hitting stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.