You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Slideshow Transitions Stuttering Continues

I think it is curious that there are threads on this problem that extend back to 2005. Yet it still persists when exporting Photos slideshows. I have a brand new Mac Studio and I thought this problem would disappear with the faster and more powerful processing associated with the M1 chip. Yet, it persists.

Now it is true that my slideshows run 20 minutes or so and have music and movies embedded. So maybe it's asking a bunch for Photos to manage an export of such complicated set of instructions. But maybe what I have discovered might help others.

I've noticed that most of the stuttering problems crop up in the second 10 minutes of such a complicated slide show. So, I divided the slideshow into two portions and then exported each separately at 720p. (Changing the resolution does not eliminate the problem, by the way).

Once I did that a number of times, I note that there were no problems with the second half of the slide show, and only one "stutter" in the first half. Then I combined them using Quicktime's "trim" and "add clip" functions.

I realize that this problem would probably not crop up if I just imported the whole set of images and movies into Final Cut Pro. But the Slideshow function is so easy to use.

But, again, I do find it curious that the problem has not had a fix.

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:31 PM

Mario, I found a fix, but it is not in Photos. See below.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 14, 2022 1:23 PM in response to fastprof

Photos Slideshow Transition Stutter Solved

1.     In Photos, create the slideshow, complete with all the trimmings, including music, titles etc.

2.     In Photos, export the slideshow in whatever resolution you choose.

3.     Quit Photos and open IMovie.

4.     In iMovie, create a new project, choose  import  media and import the slideshow video you just exported from Photos.

5.     Drag the slideshow from the Media browser to the Timeline.

6.     Select the maximum zoom and select play.

7.     When you notice the first transition stutter press the space bar and pause the video.

8.     Carefully, move the skimmer back across the transition slowly until you see the Frame that is causing the stutter.

9.     While the playhead skimmer  is on that frame, choose Split Frame.

10.  Now drag the beginning of the clip on the right to the right a bit until a small gap with a filled rectangle appears between the two clips.

That’s it.  If you move the skimmer back to before that transition and press play, you’ll see that the key frame that was erroneously inserted in the transition no longer shows.  Yet the music or sound is unaffected across the edited transition.  You’ll have to do this for every case of transition stutter but, frankly, that takes little time and effort.

Nov 24, 2022 8:43 AM in response to fastprof

Greetings Fastprof,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing an issue when exporting slideshows in Photos. One thing you could do to isolate the cause is boot the Mac using safe mode and see if the issue persists. Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you need further assistance, we suggest reaching out to Apple directly. You can follow this link to connect with them:

Get Support

Best wishes!

Nov 24, 2022 2:19 PM in response to mario49

Hello Mario49,

The problem still exists in "Safe Mode". Others have tried "Safe Mode" and had the problem persist, as you can tell from reading the multiple threads concerning this problem. By the way, when I look closely at the stuttering transitions (by importing the .mp4 into Final Cut Pro), I note that within the smooth transition one of the key frames appears in all of its full resolution for a brief moment, thus causing the "stuttering" effect.

To be clear, the music tracks are unaffected even when the simultaneous video stutters at transitions.

Photos Slideshow Transitions Stuttering Continues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.