You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity camera won't connect wirelessly to iPhone, works fine when connected with cable

Hi, I'm on an M1 Mac mini, running Ventura 13.0.1, and using an iPhone 13 Pro, running 16.1.1. Both are logged into the same iCloud account and both have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. The iPhone has Continuity Camera toggled on in settings.

When I open FaceTime or PhotoBooth on my Mac, both say "There is no connected camera." When I open the Camera dropdown, it says "No Camera Available." When I plug the phone in with a lightning cable, both apps immediately use the iPhone as the primary camera.

I don't want to have to run a permanent cable to the phone where I have it mounted for use as a camera. Please advise on how to get this to work wirelessly, as advertised. (And, yes, I've restarted both devices and that doesn't help.)

Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro, 16

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 9:13 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 24, 2022 4:54 PM in response to discussed

Hello discussed,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

You will need to ensure you are using an iPhone compatible mount or stand. Also, you will want to ensure the phone is: 

·       Near your Mac

·       Stable

·       Positioned with its rear cameras facing you and unobstructed  

·       In landscape orientation to allow apps to choose your iPhone automatically, or in portrait orientation

If all of that is met, Open FaceTime or another app to use with your iPhone camera. If the app doesn't automatically begin using it, choose your iPhone from the app's video menu, camera menu, or other setting. For example, in FaceTime your iPhone camera is available from the Video menu.

You can learn more about these steps here: Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

Kindest regards. 

Nov 25, 2022 5:54 AM in response to discussed

I've successfully setup the Continuity Camera feature on a Mac mini (2018) running Ventura 13.0.1 and an iPhone XS Max running iOS 16.1.1.

MacOS will notice the iPhone (if a number of requirements are met) and prompt the user to confirm that they want to setup the feature. In my experience, this takes a bit of time. Also, it helps if the iPhone is kept in landscape mode and is stable.

I've used the iPhone as a webcam (both video and audio) with QuickTime and with Zoom.

- Pie Lover

Nov 25, 2022 8:03 AM in response to discussed

This starts to sound like some Third Party Application(s) installed on the computer is reaking havoc with the Normal Operations of the computer

Any of the below come to mind ?

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Kaspersky Antivirus. Anti virus

AVG AntiVirus   PowerMyMac 

Trustee  Total AV  avira antivirus   Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Nov 25, 2022 12:57 PM in response to discussed

You should see the popup below in order to enable the feature.

One site suggests the following advice (from Apple's documentation).

... macOS Ventura apps are able to detect iPhone camera for the Continuity feature only when the following conditions are met:

• iPhone is standing still in landscape mode.
    • Screen is turned off.
    • Device is locked.

Since you've already verified, I'm not sure why your experience is different from my own.

- Pie Lover

Nov 25, 2022 7:28 AM in response to Shannon_DN

Hi, Shannon -

No luck. Every one of the requirements you mention above has been met. The phone is mounted directly above my Mac (22 inches), it's locked (although I get the same result whether it's locked or unlocked), it is stable, the rear cameras are facing me and unobstructed, and it's in landscape orientation. But still, per my original post, when I open FaceTime or Photo Booth on my Mac, both say "There is no connected camera." When I dropdown the Camera menu in Photo Booth it says "No Camera Available". The Video menu in FaceTime has "Automatic Camera Selection" checked but it doesn't list any cameras as being available. The FaceTime app screen shows "No camera available. To use FaceTime, connect a camera."

There must be something else we're missing, as this is still unresolved. Any other thoughts?

Continuity camera won't connect wirelessly to iPhone, works fine when connected with cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.