You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Photos to Adobe Lightroom 6.0

I just downloaded Lightroom and can't figure out how to get the my photos into the app to edit them. I've looked at the Adobe and Apple Discussion forums and don't find anything on point.

What I do find sounds like Lightroom isn't really compatible with Mac OS. I see a lot of "work-around's", none of which work for me, and they are all pretty old discussions.

If Lightroom doesn't work, any suggestions that will?

Thanks

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 3:34 PM

If you are casual photographer, as I am, Photoshop would be an expensive option, as it is rental software. I use, and am quite happy with Affinity Photo. They recently released an updated version of their software, and it is on sale right now.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

4 replies

Nov 23, 2022 3:03 PM in response to kallie Petdancer

Lightroom isn't a pixel editor like Photoshop or Affinity or Pixelmator.

In fact, it's a more robust version of Photos itself: that is, it's a parametric editor. The advantage of this is your original images are never touched, and all editing is non-destructive. To achieve this both apps are built on databases. However, like all databases, the only way the app can work with the data (in this case your photographs) is by importing it. And the only way it can share the data is by exporting.

With a pixel editor Photos ( or LR) can send the image to the editor, and after editing, a save will send the image back to Photos. This is not possible between LR and Photos.

In fact, there is no sensible way to use the two apps together - they both are photo managers and both are parametric processors. They both occupy the same place in the workflow. It's a bit like trying to maintain two completely separate address books or write your novel in two different word processors at the same time. It only leads to confusion and complexity.

So, there are only "work arounds". There is only the export/import/export/import dance.

As an alternative: any pixel editor you choose.

Importing Photos to Adobe Lightroom 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.