You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16" macbook pro screen problems

2019 Intel 16" macbook pro has a problem with my screen getting a strange purple tint, blown-out highlights, slight flickering, and display lag--plus some strange shadowing of other windows-- when the screen is opened 70 degrees or more in relation to the keyboard. If I open it less than that (so I have to angle it to really see what I'm doing), the screen shows normal colors/highlights. By angling it back and forth, it's obvious to see the angle point at which it changes from normal to wrong colors and behavior every time. This happens every time--restarting it, resetting the PRAM, or safe mode have no effect. Will I need a whole new display, or is there possibly some kind of flex cable gone bad? Replacing the display is pretty pricey. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 8:08 AM

Stephentheman2132 wrote:

2019 Intel 16" macbook pro has a problem with my screen getting a strange purple tint, blown-out highlights, slight flickering, and display lag--plus some strange shadowing of other windows-- when the screen is opened 70 degrees or more in relation to the keyboard. If I open it less than that (so I have to angle it to really see what I'm doing), the screen shows normal colors/highlights. By angling it back and forth, it's obvious to see the angle point at which it changes from normal to wrong colors and behavior every time. This happens every time--restarting it, resetting the PRAM, or safe mode have no effect. Will I need a whole new display, or is there possibly some kind of flex cable gone bad? Replacing the display is pretty pricey. Thanks!

Sounds like a hardware issue— best dealt with over the counter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2022 8:08 AM in response to Stephentheman2132

Stephentheman2132 wrote:

Sounds like a hardware issue— best dealt with over the counter.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2022 5:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

As it turns out, I needed a new display. Kind of a bummer, as this seems to be a fairly common issue for at least the 16" MBP's. Luckily I sourced a new OEM one on Ebay for around $550 and installed it myself--way better than the $950 my local apple repair store wanted. I can only hope that this issue has be addressed with the newer machines.

16" macbook pro screen problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.