You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Apple ID

Hi,

my dad is using my current Apple ID and because of this there is a lot of transfer between our two phones (we can see who we both call/message). Because our phones are linked he has also changed my original ID email and password to his own so I cannot login to things.

Is there a way for me to make a new Apple ID while keeping all my photos and passwords and without effecting his ID?

[Email Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 4:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 6:54 PM

Yes, mostly, but this will be complicated.

Create a new ID for yourself. Sign out of the old ID on your phone. Depending upon exactly what it was your father did you may have to get him to provide information to do this. Now sign into the new ID. The phone will ask you various times if you want to keep certain categories of data. Say yes where you do want to keep it.

Note that if you were storing photos in iCloud and they were not actually on the phone itself, they will not transfer. He can share them with you so you can get copies.

Things such as apps that were purchased using the old account cannot be transferred. The copies currently on the phone will stay there but you can't upgrade them. He will need to share them back to you with Family Sharing if they are shareable, or you have to buy them again.

I don't know about passwords. I did something similar once with my phone but I didn't want any of the other person's passwords. I am guessing they won't remain, particularly if they are being kept in Keychain which is specific to an AppleID.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2022 6:54 PM in response to Shanny298

Yes, mostly, but this will be complicated.

Create a new ID for yourself. Sign out of the old ID on your phone. Depending upon exactly what it was your father did you may have to get him to provide information to do this. Now sign into the new ID. The phone will ask you various times if you want to keep certain categories of data. Say yes where you do want to keep it.

Note that if you were storing photos in iCloud and they were not actually on the phone itself, they will not transfer. He can share them with you so you can get copies.

Things such as apps that were purchased using the old account cannot be transferred. The copies currently on the phone will stay there but you can't upgrade them. He will need to share them back to you with Family Sharing if they are shareable, or you have to buy them again.

I don't know about passwords. I did something similar once with my phone but I didn't want any of the other person's passwords. I am guessing they won't remain, particularly if they are being kept in Keychain which is specific to an AppleID.

Change Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.