You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys on right side of alpha and numerical sections of keyboard not working

We had a blackout recently, and since then my extended USB keyboard in my 2017 iMac has been faulty. The 0 p ; / on the alpha keys (down in a straight line) and the / 9 6 3 keys on the numpad (down in a straight line) are unresponsive.

I've tried running updates, checking that mouse keys is off, slow keys is off, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Nothing has worked. Help!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 8:10 PM

clea_h Said:

"Keys on right side of alpha and numerical sections of keyboard not working: [...]I've tried running updates, checking that mouse keys is off, slow keys is off, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Nothing has worked. Help!"

-------

Troubleshooting Keyboard Keys:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM using and external keyboard...

• (Applies to Intel-based Macs only)Sometimes changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.
  • Use An External Keyboard: It doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

II. Reinstalling the macOS:

If Software Troubleshooting is of no success, then reinstall the macOS. If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and ppps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

1. First, Create a Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2022 8:10 PM in response to clea_h

clea_h Said:

"Keys on right side of alpha and numerical sections of keyboard not working: [...]I've tried running updates, checking that mouse keys is off, slow keys is off, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Nothing has worked. Help!"

-------

Troubleshooting Keyboard Keys:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM using and external keyboard...

• (Applies to Intel-based Macs only)Sometimes changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for USB Ports/Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.
  • Use An External Keyboard: It doesn't have to be Apple brand. You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

II. Reinstalling the macOS:

If Software Troubleshooting is of no success, then reinstall the macOS. If you reinstall the macOS, nothing would be deleted. All intended, original files and ppps that came on your macOS would be reinstalled. It’s all about keeping your system files intact.

1. First, Create a Time Machine backup:

Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Keys on right side of alpha and numerical sections of keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.