You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 has a blank screen

I have a 2016 MacBook pro with a blank screen. Thinking it's just another Flexgate problem, I installed a brand new screen, which also comes up blank. External video works OK.

On neither the new screen nor the original one do I see icons when the screen is illuminated with a flashlight. This tells me there is neither backlight nor any video signal going to the screen.

My question is can there be video going to the external monitor with no video going to the internal screen? And, if so, what's the problem?

And I already changed the video cable from the logic board to the display, and reset SMC and PRAM.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 2:13 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2022 4:10 PM in response to vinconigs

Assuming the replacement Display and eDP Cable are good, then the only remaining possibility is the Logic Board. You do need to be sure that you are using the correct Display Assembly for your exact model laptop. Keep in mind the replacement Display or eDP Cable may be bad...don't assume either one is good unless you can test them on a known good system.

Make sure the cables are properly seated since they can be difficult to seat properly.

Nov 30, 2022 5:34 PM in response to vinconigs

I highly recommend you also remove the I/O Boards and check the contacts on the USB-C ports. I find they tend to attract liquids & dirt. Sometimes they can be cleaned up with a pencil eraser and some isopropyl alcohol. If the contacts show any copper or burn marks, then the I/O Board should be replaced. For a 2016 model, you may want to do this anyway if USB-C cables are loose fitting because the USB-C ports wear out & become loose if they are heavily used (connecting & disconnecting items a lot). Notice the tiny little protrusions on each side of the connector...these are meant to hold the USB-C cable in place, but because they are made of fiberboard, they wear quickly. Apple changed the design with the 2018+ models by having metal edging put around the edge of the connectors so they don't wear down.

MacBook Pro 2016 has a blank screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.