You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I didn’t choose a ipad with SIM card when i bought, now can you help me to install this feature in my ipad?

I didn’t choose a ipad with SIM card when i bought, now can you help me to install this feature in my ipad?

iPad Air, iOS 11

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 12:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 1:49 AM

if it was purchased as a wifi only ipad then it lacks the cellular hardware to operate with a sim card

if it was purchased as a wifi and cellular ipad but you did not get a contract then this is how you insert one

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

3 replies

Dec 2, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Vickylyw

It is impossible to change or update your iPad’s internal hardware - as this is fixed during manufacture; what you have is fixed for the life of your device.  If you purchased a WiFi Only model of iPad, you cannot enable cellular service. If instead you purchased a WiFi+Cellular model, you can simply add a physical SIM from your chosen cellular carrier, or enable service directly from the iPad:

Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad - Apple Support

While you cannot add Cellular capability to a WiFi Only model of iPad, you can access Cellular service using a WiFi hotspot. There are two main ways to provide a WiFi hotspot:

1) A mobile phone - that can provide a WiFi Hotspot. An iPhone is ideal, as the hotspot connection can be initiated directly from the iPad. Other brands of mobile phone will usually suffice, but the hotspot connection must be manually enabled each time that you wish to use it. It follows that the Cellular contract must allow connection via the WiFi hotspot (otherwise known as tethering).

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2) A flexible alternative (and relatively low cost option) is to purchase a mobile broadband router - often known as MiFi - and an appropriate cellular airtime contract from your chosen Cellular provider.

A hotspot connection can also be used with WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. In this regard, both WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models are equal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.