You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac unable to read NTFS drives

Hi all, this started when I uninstalled Paragon NTFS for Mac. Ever since I've uninstalled it, I've had trouble with NTFS drives - they do not show up at all with Disk Utility or in the Finder. I've already done a reinstall of macOS. Is there any way to restore normal functionality?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 3:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 4:23 AM

Normally, an External Drive Formatted to a Windows NTFS Partition Map can be Read but can not be written to it.

You may consider from the Apple Link below to Reformat the Whole Drive.

If to be used between Windows and macOS Computer, use the exFat Partition Map.

It is more robust that the Fat 32

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Important detail and check the image in that link for View All Attached Devices in Disk Utilities

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2022 4:23 AM in response to Headfi-Charl

Normally, an External Drive Formatted to a Windows NTFS Partition Map can be Read but can not be written to it.

You may consider from the Apple Link below to Reformat the Whole Drive.

If to be used between Windows and macOS Computer, use the exFat Partition Map.

It is more robust that the Fat 32

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Important detail and check the image in that link for View All Attached Devices in Disk Utilities

Mac unable to read NTFS drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.