You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie can't stop audio from fading in

I've added a song to my movie. It's a separate audio track at the bottom. I want a "hard" start, no fade in. Regardless of what I do, drag the fade handle all the way to the left till is says "0:00" for fade, etc. it still insists on fading in. VERY frustrating when I want it to impact the video, not softly fade in over like .3 seconds or so. Any way to get rid of this? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 5:43 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2022 6:12 PM in response to nyjumpee

Hi, nyjumpee,

Here are some things to try:

Try increasing the volume of the fade-in part.

Try the song in another project and see if it plays with a fade in there.

Some other questions: Is it possible that the clip itself has an embedded fade in? Do the wave forms show a fade in? Does the clip play on your desktop without a fade in? What happens if you try another song -- still a fade in?

Lastly, you can try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Dec 2, 2022 6:46 PM in response to Rich839

Hey Rich!

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried cutting into the song at another section at the beginning of a "beat", same thing. No clean start. . fades into where I set the beginning of the clip. Increased/decreased volume, re-slid the fade control all the way to the left 0:00, etc. I ended up inserting a few seconds of silence before where I wanted it to start then replaced it in the timeline so when it DID fade in, it was just silence anyway and just dragged the audio clip left until the part where I wanted it to start was lined up ~ that worked because the fade was during the silent part anyway. I'll try those other things you mentioned and see if that helps. Thanks again!

iMovie can't stop audio from fading in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.