You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Spec Macbook of Pro for Final Cut? Chip or RAM more important with new Macs?

Hey All!

I edit videos daily for my Youtube Channel. I currently have a 2015 3.1ghz dual core i7 with 16mb RAM. It is struggling with editing, especially 4K.

Have been looking a the new MacBook Pros and wondering what spec I should go for and what to prioritise.. with the new unified memory and M1 Chips it seems the RAM figure is now less important?

Essentially I mainly film in HD, 4 cameras in one go which I combine in a multicam clip.. this can take a while for the current laptop to process. But also would like to have 5-10 min intros which would be in 4K. I use it solely for editing, word and browsing..

So, Do I need to go for an M1 Max chip or would an M1 Pro do (if so which one?) and would I be ok with 16mb or do I need to go with 32? Basically whats the cheapest spec I can get away with?

Thanks!!

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 2:27 AM

2 replies

Dec 7, 2022 3:54 AM in response to kaz-k

I have already spoken to two on the apple sales line and to be honest they dint seems to know what they were talking about. Mainly reading from scripts from what I could tell. Neither made me feel as if they knew which aspect of spec was most relevant for FCPX aside from just going as high in spec as I could afford.

What Spec Macbook of Pro for Final Cut? Chip or RAM more important with new Macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.