You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail not synching between iPhone and Mac

Hi,

I have a gmail account and it is set up on my Mac (running Ventura) and on my iPhone (running latest OS update). When I open Mail on my Mac, all the emails that I deleted on my phone show as "unread" in Mail on my Mac. So somehow what I delete on my iPhone in the Mail application does not seem to impact the mailbox and the messages show on Mac as if they were never read or deleted.

Please help with what settings I need to change to ensure full sync.

Thanks!

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 2:24 PM

To ensure that your Gmail account is fully synced across all of your devices, you will need to make sure that the same settings are being used on each device. Here are the steps you can take to fix this issue:

1. On your Mac, open the Mail app and click on the "Mail" menu in the top toolbar.
  2. Click on "Preferences" and then select the "Accounts" tab.
  3. Select your Gmail account from the list of accounts and click on the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Make sure that the "Store deleted messages on the server" option is checked. This will ensure that messages you delete on one device will be deleted on all of your devices.
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.
  6. On your iPhone, open the "Settings" app and tap on "Mail" to access your email settings.
  7. Tap on your Gmail account and make sure that the "Archive Messages" option is turned on. This will ensure that messages you delete on your iPhone will be archived rather than permanently deleted.
  8. Exit the "Settings" app and open the Mail app on your iPhone.
  9. Tap on the "Accounts" tab and select your Gmail account.
  10. Tap on "Advanced" and make sure that the "Store deleted messages on the server" option is turned on.
  11. Exit the Mail app and go back to the "Settings" app.
  12. Tap on "General" and then select "Reset".
  13. Tap on "Reset Network Settings" to reset your network settings and fix any synchronization issues.

After following these steps, your Gmail account should be fully synced across all of your devices. If you continue to have problems, you may want to try deleting and re-adding your Gmail account on your Mac and iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2022 2:24 PM in response to senortz

To ensure that your Gmail account is fully synced across all of your devices, you will need to make sure that the same settings are being used on each device. Here are the steps you can take to fix this issue:

1. On your Mac, open the Mail app and click on the "Mail" menu in the top toolbar.
  2. Click on "Preferences" and then select the "Accounts" tab.
  3. Select your Gmail account from the list of accounts and click on the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Make sure that the "Store deleted messages on the server" option is checked. This will ensure that messages you delete on one device will be deleted on all of your devices.
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.
  6. On your iPhone, open the "Settings" app and tap on "Mail" to access your email settings.
  7. Tap on your Gmail account and make sure that the "Archive Messages" option is turned on. This will ensure that messages you delete on your iPhone will be archived rather than permanently deleted.
  8. Exit the "Settings" app and open the Mail app on your iPhone.
  9. Tap on the "Accounts" tab and select your Gmail account.
  10. Tap on "Advanced" and make sure that the "Store deleted messages on the server" option is turned on.
  11. Exit the Mail app and go back to the "Settings" app.
  12. Tap on "General" and then select "Reset".
  13. Tap on "Reset Network Settings" to reset your network settings and fix any synchronization issues.

After following these steps, your Gmail account should be fully synced across all of your devices. If you continue to have problems, you may want to try deleting and re-adding your Gmail account on your Mac and iPhone.

Dec 12, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Rossnic

Hello and thank you for the reply. I tried to follow the steps but I do not have matching menus (I use Ventura on my MacBook). For example:

1. I do not have a "Preferences" option under the Mail menu, only About, Settings, Accounts, Add account, Services, Hide and Quit

Can you please revise your reply and let me know the correct steps with my version of Mail?

Thanks!

Mail not synching between iPhone and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.