You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How shall I set up the library structure?

I want to use Apple Music app for my own produced music. I wish to keep the audio files (mp3) in a separat structure and I don't want to have Apple Music to move anything. I wish however to handle all the MP3 tags and and listen to the audio files from Apple Music. Now I have tested and it ended in a lot of double files with and without the edited tags. In one or an other way I wish to start all over and get a clean structure.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 11:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 6:37 AM

See Add files to your library but not to your Music folder.

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Settings, then click Files.
  2. Deselect the tickbox next to “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library”.

Now when you drag files into the library or use File > Add... to add content Music will connect to the files in their current locations. Metadata changes you make in Music will write back to the files (excluding those in .wav format) but the files will not be moved or renamed.

Make sure to backup the entire ~/Music folder with all of its subfolders, and never use the option File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files which would import copies of your originals into the media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2022 6:37 AM in response to bodal

See Add files to your library but not to your Music folder.

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Settings, then click Files.
  2. Deselect the tickbox next to “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library”.

Now when you drag files into the library or use File > Add... to add content Music will connect to the files in their current locations. Metadata changes you make in Music will write back to the files (excluding those in .wav format) but the files will not be moved or renamed.

Make sure to backup the entire ~/Music folder with all of its subfolders, and never use the option File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files which would import copies of your originals into the media folder.

tt2

Dec 8, 2022 5:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello och thanks for your answer. Well, Im still struggling. Maybe I need to explain better what I intend to do. My own music is located in a structure beside the "standard" library for the rest of my music. My own music is organised one in a folder Logic with substructures like ....Musik/Logic/Songs/Song 1/ file1.MP3, ....Musik/Logic/Songs/Song 2/ file2.MP3 and so on .... (more than 100 folders and songs .... ). The other music is placed in ..Musik/Music/Medier/.

Is this possible? Also if I don't want Music to move anything?

Dec 7, 2022 12:57 PM in response to bodal

I've started working on a user tip covering this and related topics which you might potentially find useful. Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community. You can turn off the option under Music > Preferences > Files to have Music Keep the music media folder organized, then everything you store inside the media folder will stay exactly where you put it, even if you make changes to metadata. Or you can store your managed media outside the designated media folder, make sure the Copy files to media folder option is turned off, and never consolidate the library. Again everything will stay where you put it, named the way that you choose. You cannot control where Apple Music downloads live, nor can you alter the initial location and naming of content that Music downloads, rips, or converts for you. A Mac will be forgiving if you move or rename files within the same volume. I would generally recommend sticking with Apple's overall layout of <Media Folder>/<Album Artist>/<Album>/## <Name>.<Ext>, but there is certainly scope to do things your own way. I have additional folders for classical music, soundtracks, and comedy for example, and my own way of naming compilation tracks complete with the artist.

tt2

How shall I set up the library structure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.