You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Add/Print HP LaserJet Pro M404dn Printer

Hey Everybody,

Updated to macOS Ventura, and can no longer add the printer. As the title says, it's an HP LaserJet Pro M404dn. It's plugged in via ethernet, and the HP Smart software can see it fine, but when it attempts to add the printer, it simply aborts and says to add the printer manually.

When I attempt to add the printer manually, I get the following error:

I also added the printer as a generic postscript printer, but the printer still doesn't print. I reset the printing system and attempted another go, but still no luck. I did factory reset on printer, but again, no luck there. I am able to add the printer just fine under Monterey.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Rob

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 8:48 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 13, 2022 9:40 AM in response to WarhavenLA

Hi,

The HP LaserJet Pro M404dn is listed as supported in About AirPrint - Apple Support. An AirPrint-enabled printer is compatible with macOS, and can be used without an additional driver, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. Since the HP LaserJet Pro M404dn has an Ethernet port, one could wire the printer to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router (I assume that your printer is connected to the router, and not directly to the computer).

HP Smart may be used for setup and ink management purposes, but it ought to be possible to add the printer without such software.

If there is a problem with AirPrint device discovery, you could try the following procedure (in this order, with these waiting times): Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and all other connected devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Unable to Add/Print HP LaserJet Pro M404dn Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.