You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone did this update and now it won’t respond. It is locked up. I can’t even reboot it. HELP

My iPhone did this update and now it won’t respond. It is locked up. I can’t even reboot it. HELP

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 2:28 PM

Its a great trick, but it doesnt work anymore, iphone 11 had this problem sometimes, but after update it came all the time and now its locked on the second day.

I think its a hardware issue, because when it was open it worked fine until it freeze again.

7 replies

Jan 27, 2023 6:42 AM in response to Hawn-L

I'm pretty confident this is a software bug in the new ios release; at least that's the issues I'm having. An order / priority of execution problem. I'm having to reboot multiple times a day since going to version 16. versions 16.1 (e.g. 16.1.1 and 16.1.2) were a big issue with the typical reboot sequence struggling to work. There would be long pauses where I would have to practically sit on the buttons before I'd get a response from the op system. Going to 16.2 has now avoided the freezes trying to reboot, but I'm still having to reboot multiple times a day because when dialing out the phone is saying I'm calling, but doesn't provide the normal ring tone when going to connect, eventually starts counting as if connected; sometimes, sometimes not... still saying connecting and not counting. At that point it really is connected and the user at the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them. At other times it does connect and count quickly, but the user can't hear me nor can I hear them. They hang up on me, of course. I reboot the phone and voila, it immediately gives me the ring tone on dialing out and immediately connects. I do not know what issue has been created but others are experiencing it. I ran into a guy who just bought a brand new iPhone 14 and is having the same problem. I suspect it is certain functionality or software use that is creating the issue, as it is only sporadic with certain users. Additionally, there is a huge detail that has occurred with Apples own navigation app. I can't use it anymore. It delays and hangs. I've used it routinely and now I've had to go to Google's map navigation, which works fine. Also there is a large magnitude of delay when searching in contacts. I took programming and while I don't program, I've designed systems and have had them custom coded and have troubleshot with programmers and trained users and have managed IT. Apples doesn't have their act together on this one. I've spent hours on the phone and have gone into the Apple store and they've run diagnostics. It's definitely a code issue in the new release. Unfortunately, it's not affecting enough people they've bothered to figure it out yet.

Jan 27, 2023 7:17 AM in response to level5leader

I am just about certain it is NOT a software bug in the new iOS release. Why? Because roughly 500 million iPhones are eligible to update to iOS 16.3. If it was a bug you would see millions of posts about it. Not just one (or even dozens).

You are much more likely to find a solution if you start with the assumption that it is something odd in your configuration or apps you have installed.

As a start, are you using VPN? That’s one common cause of a lot of instability. Any apps that you “side loaded” and did not get from the app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.