You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there an easy way to transfer videos from an iphone to windows 10?

i tried a link that said basically to use the phone as a hard drive.

It said to plug the phone into the port, then copy the files. it was from an apple link.

I believe that it probably said to use the Photos app in windows 10.

However, what i found was that the photos app does not open photos properly in windows 10.

It would not allow me to open them and export them from the phone. It had an error. I got the feeling like for some reason, the system thought they were open or something. It said that it was unable to export them and try again repeatedly.

It would keep refreshing the windows photo app view screen, and i could not do anything but view the photos and videos.

Are there any suggestions? All i was able to do was upload them to a website, and download them to my laptop. That is not an easy option.

I do believe that I have used my phone as a hard drive before to make backups in some sort of way for a different type of process for itunes. That is not what i am trying to do. I just want to copy videos when i need to, and put them on my laptop, so I do not have to switch between screens on the phone.

This is since i am trying to learn something, and it is difficult to alternate through screens and watch videos and take notes on the phone. Please advise if possible.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 9:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 2:14 PM

Unlocked phone as in the screen is not locked. This allows you to see and respond to any prompt to trust the computer. When the phone is locked Windows may charge the device, but not attempt to access the file system.

Backing up is separate from transferring or copying items to the local file system so you can use them with other software. iOS backups are monolithic. Everything (that can be) gets backed up, everything gets restored. You cannot access individual files from the backup. So I never mentioned backing up all for just this reason. I understand what you're after. Apple's document for both Mac and Windows PCs is the one in my previous post. I've always copied off my photos in Windows using the File Explorer. I break them up into nested subfolders by year and month in the form ..\2022\2022-12.

FWIW I've just had to run Windows Update to install a patch so hopefully Windows can show my iPhone in Explorer. I'll be back after a reboot.

Here we go:

There can be lots of subfolders. Copying everything is simple, unless something gets stuck. You can do a general search of the DCIM folder for *.* then sort everything by date and copy off in batches.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2022 2:14 PM in response to JoshuaCM

Unlocked phone as in the screen is not locked. This allows you to see and respond to any prompt to trust the computer. When the phone is locked Windows may charge the device, but not attempt to access the file system.

Backing up is separate from transferring or copying items to the local file system so you can use them with other software. iOS backups are monolithic. Everything (that can be) gets backed up, everything gets restored. You cannot access individual files from the backup. So I never mentioned backing up all for just this reason. I understand what you're after. Apple's document for both Mac and Windows PCs is the one in my previous post. I've always copied off my photos in Windows using the File Explorer. I break them up into nested subfolders by year and month in the form ..\2022\2022-12.

FWIW I've just had to run Windows Update to install a patch so hopefully Windows can show my iPhone in Explorer. I'll be back after a reboot.

Here we go:

There can be lots of subfolders. Copying everything is simple, unless something gets stuck. You can do a general search of the DCIM folder for *.* then sort everything by date and copy off in batches.

tt2

Dec 15, 2022 1:08 PM in response to JoshuaCM

See Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support. When an unlocked iPhone is connected to a computer that you've trusted you should see the device in Windows File Explorer, and it should expose a DCIM folder that has subfolders that you can browse. You can copy and paste files from these folders to local storage.

tt2

Dec 15, 2022 1:46 PM in response to turingtest2

unlocked phone? you may or may not have advised when i did it for the other reason. that time i was transfering for backing up my iphone to move data to a new phone, or something like that. I had used third-party programs, and also itunes, and needed to switch around directories.

However, this is not what I am doing. I am not using an Apple computer system to browse it. I do not want to use a backup program to do it.

My windows-based computer system is supposed to be able to open "Photos" on it supposedly to browse I think, according to this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/import-photos-and-videos-from-an-iphone-to-pc-2e4e4db4-4c3d-041c-b88f-3ee4358dd95e. i might need to ask their opinion, but they often send me to apple support.

is there an easy way to transfer videos from an iphone to windows 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.