You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get a higher resolution than 1920x1080 on an extended display from my iMac

Can I get a higher resolution than 1920x1080 on an extended display from my iMac. I am connecting a Smart monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160 but in the display set up the maximum I can get is 1920x1080. The monitor works well with a Windows laptop and so it must be something in the iMAC.

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 12:13 PM

Supported external video resolutions changed as iMacs got newer. Apple's tech specification sheets show supported external monitor resolutions for each SUB-MODEL, but you have not told us your iMac's sub-model, so we cannot reference the correct sheet for you.

The sub-model is shown in "About this Mac..."

Or, depending on your macOS version, you may be able to directly access the correct specification sheet from the "Support" tab in the "About this Mac..." window:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2022 12:13 PM in response to DaveA2136

Supported external video resolutions changed as iMacs got newer. Apple's tech specification sheets show supported external monitor resolutions for each SUB-MODEL, but you have not told us your iMac's sub-model, so we cannot reference the correct sheet for you.

The sub-model is shown in "About this Mac..."

Or, depending on your macOS version, you may be able to directly access the correct specification sheet from the "Support" tab in the "About this Mac..." window:

Can I get a higher resolution than 1920x1080 on an extended display from my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.