You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps won’t update

hello I have an iphone6 iOS 12.5.6

i am invited to update three of my apps

each app update requires iOS 14 which I appreciate cannot be reached on iPhone6

a message appears inviting me to update the app to the latest compatible version

when I press Update, it just goes round in circles firing up the same message over and over and won’t update to the latest compatible version

is this a is a known bug or have I misunderstood the process?

thanks ...

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 4:39 AM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2022 5:19 AM in response to r.l.2

Your an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.5.6 can’t be update to a higher iOS (13 and later).

Yes, most apps require iOS 13 or later.

i am invited to update three of my apps

each app update requires iOS 14

It is a notice that those apps need iOS 14.

Considering a newer type of iPhone?

Read this before you buy a newer type iPhone.

Dec 18, 2022 3:34 PM in response to Raicya

Hi

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately I think you have misunderstood my question. I already appreciate that I cannot update the app on my iPhone 6 to the latest version of the app if it requires iOS 14. I am talking about the subsequent message that invites me to update the app to the latest compatible version. When I press Update to update the app to the latest compatible version, it just fires the same question back up again an again.

Thank you for the suggestion of buying a newer iPhone. When I become so rich that I can afford to buy a newer phone in a cost of living crisis just to solve the issue of updating apps, I will be sure to take this option.

Dec 19, 2022 1:56 AM in response to r.l.2

I am talking about the subsequent message that invites me to update the app to the latest compatible version. When I press Update to update the app to the latest compatible version, it just fires the same question back up again an again.

It is a notice that those apps need iOS 14.

You cannot update the most app on your iPhone anymore, the most apps require iOS 13 or later.

So, if you don't press Update, you will not get that same question.

Dec 19, 2022 3:34 AM in response to Raicya

You are still misunderstanding the issue. I will detail the steps to try and make it clearer, or if someone else may want to answer

1) I have an app that has "Update" as an option

2) When i press Update, I get a message titled "Download an older version of this app" and says "The current version requires iOS 14.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version [Cancel/Download]."

3) When i press Download to download the last compatible version (i.e. not the current version that requires iOS 14.0 or later), it just fires up the message titled "Download an older version of this app" again

thanks...

Dec 26, 2022 3:29 PM in response to Kurtosis12

Thanks for the reply.

I think I understand what has happened now. This download/cancel choice is appropriate for people who do not have the app already installed ("GET"). For example if you don't have youtube (1 of the 3 apps i get this message for) installed and you try and install it for an iPhone6, presumably this message will enable you to install a compatible version instead of the one that requires iOS 14. The software is not clever enough to detect i am doing an "UPDATE" and not a "GET" so i'm getting an option that i cannot choose because I already have the compatible version. So i think its a bug as i first suspected.

thanks...

Apps won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.