You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music on iOS won't play tracks due to "not currently available in your country or region"

First off, I've never subscribed to apple music on any device. I have never purchased downloads from the Apple music store on any device. I use Music.app on my desktop for my local library ONLY. This is a problem with the music app on iOS 16.2.

Some of the tracks I've transferred from my iMac to my iPhone will not play due to the above mentioned error: "This song is not currently available in your country or region". All the music on my phone was transferred from my iMac via USB. The tracks that won't play are greyed out and consist of (seemingly) random tracks on some albums. How is the iOS music app determining that it won't allow me to play my own music files and how to I fix this?

iMac: 24" M1, 2021 running Ventura 13.1, Music.app ver. 1.3.2.31

iPhone 11, iOS 16.2

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 5:16 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 20, 2022 7:10 AM in response to Mark Tucker1

Mark Tucker1 iTunes Songs Greyed Out 🎵

I know just how you feel , this isn't a new issue . It happens every now and then … same message even though I imported it from my store-bought CD ! Sometimes it's okay at a later date or I may import it again . Unfortunately , at this time , I only have sympathy rather than a solution .

If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

If a song is grayed out :

If you see No Longer Available next to a song that's grayed out, the song was added from Apple Music and was removed from the Apple Music catalog.… can't be true , I never had a subscription , I purchased individual songs from the iTunes Store , but most of them are from my own music collection .

Dec 20, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Mark Tucker1

Hi Mark,

Experienced the same on my iPad a couple of hours ago, first time ever but solved it just now!

Also never subscribed nor used Apple Music Store, only purchased in iTunes (using Apple devices only).

Today I purchased 2 songs on my iPhone, which were greyed out and did not play on my (old but recently updated) iPad Pro, showing same “region” message as you have on your iPhone trying to play in Music app.

All my devices are registered in the same region as the one I bought the songs from and on 3 other Apple devices the purchases played in Music app.

Apple Support tried to solve by letting me re-log into my Apple account after logging out, which did not help.

Then Apple Support suggested to set my iPad back to basic set-up, which I refused to uphold all of my own settings.

Searching for the set-up of iTunes from the refusing-to-play device, I found 2 messages popped-up at bottom of screen leading to the messages on 2 greyed-out songs incl. direct manual download arrows.

After using these download-options, both numbers were no longer greyed out and became active for play in the Music app!

Have now set my iPad to auto-download purchases from iTunes to prevent re-occurrence.

Suspect latest software update changed the previous auto-download setup to manual.

Good luck! 👍

Dec 21, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Bert Eeken

Response to Bert Eeken

Hey there Bert ,

I find it remarkable that Apple Support recommended going back to basic set-up …

you just go to your account in the iTunes Store , find the song you need in your purchases and tap the arrow . It wasn't always that easy … I'm not trying to give away my age here but , before the iCloud was built , I lost my entire iTunes library !

After crying on the phone with Apple Support , I opened an email from them containing a special code which enabled me to re-download the tunes .

I imported my CD's again and managed to retain a mostly , trouble free library since .

Anyway , my response is : 🥀 Sorry to rain on your parade , my iPad is set to " auto-download purchases from iTunes " , since 2008 and I have experienced

re-occurrence .

💡 We are a brilliant community , and we shall solve this mystery one day . 🔬

Dec 22, 2022 7:34 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

Thanks for the Holiday wishes and the feedback. It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue but I was really hoping someone would have an explanation and/or fix.

Strangely, I have found that albums moved to my iPhone by syncing a playlist do not seem to have this issue but copying the tracks directly to the phone do. That may be purely coincidental, but it seems to be working reliably as a workaround so far. That's hardly an ideal solution but it's something.

Dec 22, 2022 8:07 AM in response to Mark Tucker1

Sorry Mark,

Have no explanation to the reason why it happens.

Cannot help you any further, so when songs do not auto-download on your iPhone and like Anne suggested:

"you just go to your account in the iTunes Store (on your iDevice), find the song you need in your purchases and tap the download arrow".

Maybe someone in future be able to pin-point where it goes wrong and Apple will fix what actually goes wrong...

Music on iOS won't play tracks due to "not currently available in your country or region"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.