You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display Causes Malfunction since Ventura Update

Upgraded from Big Sur to Ventura 13.1 on my M1 Macbook Air yesterday, and now have multiple issues whenever I attempt to connect my Thunderbolt display. Thunderbolt display is connected directly to the Thunderbolt port via Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Mouse, trackpad, and keyboard stop delivering input within a minute of plugging the display in.

Applications both native (time machine, system settings) and third party (MS office apps) go to spinny wheel of death.

As soon as I disconnect the display, the Macbook Air operates normally again. I have disconnected all inputs to all ports on Macbook Air and Thunderbolt display other than the display and power to the Macbook Air.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled all 3rd party software.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 5:42 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 21, 2022 7:51 PM in response to owowfrttl

Hi owowfrttl,

We'll be glad to look into this with you further. Since there aren't really any explicit settings that should cause this to happen, you'll likely need to reach out to Apple to look into this with you further: Get Support.

You may be able to try a different set of adapters or similar, if it's possible the adapters are damaged internally.

We hope this helps out.

Cheers.

Thunderbolt Display Causes Malfunction since Ventura Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.