You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent problem of losing underscan setting

There was a bug fixed in Monterey that has reappeared in Ventura. I reported it, but it hasn’t been fixed in either of the recent updates to Ventura. I’ll describe the bug, but my main question is how to get Apple’s attention to acknowledge or fix it.

The bug (on my Mac Mini M1) is that the underscan setting on my second monitor (also a TV) is sometimes lost. As a result, the menu disappears off the top of the screen. Each time, to get it back, I have to move the cursor off the top left corner of the screen, click in no-man's land, then click on "tings" (the end of settings which is partly hidden) then reset the underscan in the settings menu.

The circumstances in which the underscan setting is lost are predictable and replicable:

• It is lost when I switch the second monitor off and back on again (which can sometimes be useful for energy saving).
    • It is also lost if I switch on my Mac whilst the second monitor is switched off, but then switch the second monitor on after the Mac has booted up.
    • The setting is not lost if the second monitor is switched to an alternative input source and then back to the MAC.
    • The setting is not lost if I switch the monitor on before switching on the MAC, and then keep the monitor switched on.

The problem remains even when I’ve done safe-mode boots to correct any problems. I am still able to use the MAC to do everything, but it is an irritation having to go through this reset procedure every time the setting is lost. At the very least, I'd like to get some feedback from Apple that my bug report from last month has been received and is in the pipeline to be fixed.

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 2:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 8:09 AM

Alas, there will be no solution appearing as I'm giving up.

I put a lot of time into various tests and dialogue with the Apple agent including, for example, making a two-minute video of me carefully replicating the problem. The issue was eventually referred to some further engineers. The agent has now come back to me and asked me to conduct a further, extensive, and very time-consuming test - to backup my data, erase my entire disk, install Monterey, and see if the problem is still there.

I've already told them it wasn't there in Monterey, and that I'm on a slow rural broadband. Their request is unreasonable and this is a test their engineers should be doing, not me. That is, they should replicate the issue in Ventura (there are plenty of people who experience it, and my video shows exactly how it happens, and I've given them the exact TV/monitor make and model) and then do the roll back to Monterey themselves.

I can't afford the time, nor take the risk, so I'm giving up. Now, I'm not only Grumpy by name but also grumpy as a result of the responses from Apple.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2022 8:09 AM in response to GrumpyInYorkshire

Alas, there will be no solution appearing as I'm giving up.

I put a lot of time into various tests and dialogue with the Apple agent including, for example, making a two-minute video of me carefully replicating the problem. The issue was eventually referred to some further engineers. The agent has now come back to me and asked me to conduct a further, extensive, and very time-consuming test - to backup my data, erase my entire disk, install Monterey, and see if the problem is still there.

I've already told them it wasn't there in Monterey, and that I'm on a slow rural broadband. Their request is unreasonable and this is a test their engineers should be doing, not me. That is, they should replicate the issue in Ventura (there are plenty of people who experience it, and my video shows exactly how it happens, and I've given them the exact TV/monitor make and model) and then do the roll back to Monterey themselves.

I can't afford the time, nor take the risk, so I'm giving up. Now, I'm not only Grumpy by name but also grumpy as a result of the responses from Apple.

Dec 22, 2022 4:01 AM in response to GrumpyInYorkshire

Q - " There was a bug fixed in Monterey that has reappeared in Ventura. I reported it, but it hasn’t been fixed in either of the recent updates to Ventura. I’ll describe the bug, but my main question is how to get Apple’s attention to acknowledge or fix it. "

A - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

Who knows, they may even elevate the issue up the Apple Chain to a Software Engineer if it is deemed reproducible

Dec 22, 2022 7:04 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you. I contacted them via chat, and was put onto a phone call with a senior advisor, who spent some time with me going through various tests and troubleshooting, gave me some more to complete, and we are now communicating by email. It seems it is an obscure problem as it doesn't occur with two other monitors that have hdmi inputs - though, when connected those monitors do not have the underscan adjustment in the Mac display settings.

I didn't have the problem with Monterey and the same TV/monitor as I have now, so I do think this is an obscure bug with Ventura. Given that other monitors work (though, they are not suitable for my everyday use), I'm waiting to see if the advisor decides to escalate it further.

Intermittent problem of losing underscan setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.