You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the default notification sound in iOS?

Hello, how do I change the default notification sound in iOS for other random apps that do not have configurable notification sounds. It’s impossible for me to tell the difference between a notification from an important work message (Zoom), and a notification from my doorbell (Nest). They all use the default “Tri-tone” notification sound.

iPhone 14

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 11:35 AM

One workaround I’ve found to deal with the inflexibility in iOS that prevents changing generic notification sounds is to simply disable notification sounds for each app that is of a lesser priority, and leave sounds on for those few apps that you do want sound notifications for. (Settings -> Notifications -> {AppName}, and toggle Sound to off)

Then, when you get a “tri-tone” alert sound, you’ll know it must be for your important apps (an important work IM versus just an alert from some other app promoting a sale or something like that).

I still cannot believe that iOS doesn’t allow users to change the default notification sound for apps. It seems like such a pointless restriction. Yes, app devs can add custom notification sounds, but few actually do.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2023 11:35 AM in response to bhall7

One workaround I’ve found to deal with the inflexibility in iOS that prevents changing generic notification sounds is to simply disable notification sounds for each app that is of a lesser priority, and leave sounds on for those few apps that you do want sound notifications for. (Settings -> Notifications -> {AppName}, and toggle Sound to off)

Then, when you get a “tri-tone” alert sound, you’ll know it must be for your important apps (an important work IM versus just an alert from some other app promoting a sale or something like that).

I still cannot believe that iOS doesn’t allow users to change the default notification sound for apps. It seems like such a pointless restriction. Yes, app devs can add custom notification sounds, but few actually do.

Dec 23, 2022 5:30 PM in response to bhall7

Greetings bhall7, 

The options for changing notification sounds that are controllable through the operating system on your iPhone can be found in Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone or iPad

There may be an option in each app allowing a change in notification settings though and that would typically be configurable within the app itself. 

A third-party video calling app may also take into consideration a custom ringtone set for a contact within their contact card, though you’d want to check with the app’s developers on that availability. 

Set a ringtone or text tone for a contact
1. Open the Contacts app and tap a person's name.
2. In the upper-right corner of the person's contact card, tap Edit.
3. Tap Ringtone or Text Tone, then choose a new sound.

Thanks. 

How do I change the default notification sound in iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.