You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a less technical explainatin. I stll do not understand whether to update

I do not understand the pros and cons of updating from 12.6.1 either to 12.6.2 or to Venture.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 4:38 AM

The link below will offer insights about the Monterey 12.6.2 Security Update

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.2

Technically, and update is from within an existing version of macOS.

An Upgrade is moving from macOS 12 Monterey to macOS 13 Ventura

To get an overview of Ventura perhaps this link may offer information useful in deciding if the Ventura upgrade meets the user needs

macOS 13 Ventura

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2022 4:38 AM in response to mandywr

The link below will offer insights about the Monterey 12.6.2 Security Update

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.2

Technically, and update is from within an existing version of macOS.

An Upgrade is moving from macOS 12 Monterey to macOS 13 Ventura

To get an overview of Ventura perhaps this link may offer information useful in deciding if the Ventura upgrade meets the user needs

macOS 13 Ventura

Dec 30, 2022 10:36 AM in response to mandywr

Usually update patches to an existing version of macOS is safe and should rarely cause a problem with third party apps or devices, but once in a while the only way to patch a security vulnerability may be to change how macOS operates (extremely rare). Generally you will always want to apply the update patches such as 12.6.2 from 12.6.1. If, however, you have a critical system or software that tends to have problems with updates, then you would do well to have a test system available where you install the update patch on the test system first to verify if any unwanted side effects are noticed, then updating on the main system. You would also want to check with the developer of any third party apps to make sure that the update patch for macOS does not cause any problems (most developers won't say anything unless they have acknowledged a problem...usually after others have reported it).

As for a major upgrade to a new major version of macOS like from macOS 12.x Monterey to macOS 13.x Ventura, you will definitely want to do some research before upgrading. You will want to research the new macOS features, find out what has changed, what may have been removed, and even more important, check with the developer's of all your third party apps to make sure the third party app has a version which is compatible with the new version of macOS. Some third party developers will have new versions of their apps ready to go on or before the new version of macOS launches, others may take days, weeks, months, or even years before updating their apps for a new OS (or sometimes never if the app has been abandoned). I personally do not upgrade to a new major version of any OS for at least several months to allow Apple to patch the OS to address release day issues and to give third party developers time to release new versions of their apps. For a mission critical system, people will have a spare system around to test the new OS before upgrading their main computer.

Edit: Some apps and macOS features may not work unless all of the update patches are installed. For example, Air Drop may not work unless you have macOS 12.6.2 update patch installed. This is especially true for any app or feature relying on secure systems such as the Apple Wallet, banking sites, etc.

Dec 28, 2022 8:58 AM in response to PRP_53

I had already looked at the link for security updates in 12.6.2,. My problem is that I cannot understand it. My main concern is whether the upgrades or updates offered are advisable or should I wait for a period for any bugs to be ironed out. I have looked at the ventura upgrade and have not seen anything I particularly want so perhaps I should just stay will Monterey12.6.1. (that upgrade to Monterey caused some problems with apps I was using, hence my caution about any changes.)

Dec 28, 2022 9:27 AM in response to mandywr

I think the Previous Contributor " summed up " what the Monterey 12.6.2 contains very well, without the need to explain each Technical Aspect of the update

Running Monterey 12.6.1 will function but is " open " possible security issues

Normally, third party software that runs in 12.6.1 should work just as well under the 12.6.2 version .

Though, the suer has not identified or shared exactly which Application (s ) the user experienced issue with.

So it become a " Unknown " at this point where 12.6.2 will or will not cause issue wit this software

is there a less technical explainatin. I stll do not understand whether to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.