You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app on Mac won't import photos from iPhone 12 (com.apple.IMageCaptureCore error -9956)

I recently bought an iPhone 12 and restored my old iPhone X backup onto it from iTunes. Now when I try to import my iPhone 12's photos into the Photos app on my 2015 MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.6), I get the following error message for ALL photos:

This item cannot be added to your Photo library because it may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.IMageCaptureCore error -9956)

I've also tried this operation on my 2013 Mac Pro and got the same error message.

Please help! Thanks.

Brian

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 9:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 9:35 PM

First, test in Safe Mode. Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Next, upgrade the version of macOS your MacBook Pro is using. Your MacBook Pro can run macOS Monterey: How to download macOS - Apple Support.

If the issues persist, let us know.

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2022 9:35 PM in response to BATman4God

First, test in Safe Mode. Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Next, upgrade the version of macOS your MacBook Pro is using. Your MacBook Pro can run macOS Monterey: How to download macOS - Apple Support.

If the issues persist, let us know.

Jack

Photos app on Mac won't import photos from iPhone 12 (com.apple.IMageCaptureCore error -9956)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.