You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you pair iMac with MacBook using Sidecar?

Until recently I used a 2013 era iMac as a secondary screen for my 2015 era MacBook, using a Thunderbolt cable and the much-missed Target Display Mode.

The 2015 MacBook has died (the iMac is still going strong for the moment though!). I'm thinking of replacing the iMac as we use it as a family computer. If I get a new one, can I connect my MacBook to it with SideCar? Other websites seem only to mention pairing an iMac or a MacBook with an iPad.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 2:13 PM

No you cannot, please read Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support. Sidecar is an iPad IOS / Mac OS feature. If you want or need an external display for a Mac, please buy one. This the:

1. Least expensive option as it does not require expensive cabling.
  2. Most Reliable Method
  3. Easiest Method to setup

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2023 2:13 PM in response to MultiScreen

No you cannot, please read Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support. Sidecar is an iPad IOS / Mac OS feature. If you want or need an external display for a Mac, please buy one. This the:

1. Least expensive option as it does not require expensive cabling.
  2. Most Reliable Method
  3. Easiest Method to setup

Can you pair iMac with MacBook using Sidecar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.