You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro setup as desktop

I have a MacBook Pro 14" 2021 running Ventura that I am considering to use with the new Apple Studio display, as a desktop setup. I would use the MacBook closed with that external display and an Apple Bluetooth external keyboard and trackpad. Any suggestions for configuring the MacBook Pro to operate in this configuration (closed with external keyboard & trackpad)?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 11:30 AM

My physical desktop space is limited, so with the Macbook closed and vertical I regain that space. But I will try it.

5 replies

Jan 3, 2023 11:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant. Yes, I know the price paid! I tried to keep the initial post brief, but here is the background.

I upgraded to the MacBook Pro 14" 2021 last year and absolutely love it. For a long time I have used a MacBook nomadically and an iMac (27-inch late 2015) in my office, loving the big screen. But the MacBook is so much better than the old iMac, which also cannot now update to Ventura. So time to replace. The current iMac is 24-inch and likely soon due for an upgrade to M2, so I am waiting, and while waiting thinking why have two devices, managing files between them (even with iCloud, Dropbox, etc.). So considering the Studio display with the MacBook.

Yes, I would plug the MacBook into the Studio display using one of the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports for display connection and power. I assume in that configuration I can close the lid without sleeping.

Jan 3, 2023 11:41 AM in response to morrisonkena

My son needed that additional space for program listings. We put a big block of wood under the base of the external display to raise it up, and opened the notebook computer on the desk below.

In arrangement, you can drag the blue boxes representing displays up, down, left, right, as long as you allow contiguous edges.

Some Video editors keep the palettes for their editing software on the built-in, and continue to use its keyboard as a "button-box" to invoke editing commands, while doing any large-scale typing from another keyboard.

Don't be quick to shut the lid -- it's a great display!

MacBook Pro setup as desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.