You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open Spotlight search results in Finder

When I search for files using spotlight I sometimes just want to open them in Finder. The suggested way to do this (see here for instance: https://www.howtogeek.com/790827/how-to-open-mac-spotlight-results-in-finder/) is to click Command + Enter on the selected result in Spotlight. However for me that gives the same result as just pressing Enter, i.e. the file opens in the associated application.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Mac Studio, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 11:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 2:21 PM

Are these in some online folders like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc? This seems to play a relevant part in the problem.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 4, 2023 1:50 AM in response to mikdac

Sorry if I mention the obvious, but sometimes it is the obvious things... are you sure you are using the Command key and not a different modifier? And also: does the Command key work normally otherwise?

There is also the possibility that your modifiers being switched. I'd check in System Settings->Keyboard if the modifiers match the respective keys:

Jan 24, 2023 2:03 PM in response to mikdac

Same issue - my search results, even though word documents or PDF are displayed with the finder icon (see below), and cannot be opened - neither straight nor can they be shown in the respective parent folder by pressing command + double click

I re-indexed - but that did not change anything - search results are correct, but cannot be opened. Any ideas how to solve that issue?

Jan 4, 2023 1:39 AM in response to picas

@user:

picas

Thanks! I did actually try this already, with the same result as Command + Enter, but your answer made me think I should give it another go. First I got the same result as before, i.e. Command + double click opened the file with the associated application, but then I tested around with different file types and it turns out that for image files (png, jpg, webp at least) the Command + (either Enter or mouse double click) open the file with associated application (for me it's Preview and/or Photoshop), whereas it I try for instance with a pdf file the same action will open the Finder. So I would say now my problem is reduced but I'm more confused :-)

Cannot open Spotlight search results in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.