You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app-specific password doesn't work with outlook

How do I get an app-specific password to work with Outlook?

iPad Pro, 11-inch, 4th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 8:35 AM

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I blasted my old app-spec pw and created a new one it is 16 digits in pairs of four separated by dashes.

I went to add email account in Outlook.

I entered my icloud email.

I pasted in my app-spec pw and clicked the eye to verify it.

Outlook creates a folder on the side bar with my Outlook email. But I get a message "We couldn't create the Outlook data file."

There is nothing in the Icloud folder in Outlook.

This is a little frustrating. I'm not a half wit although I may be doing something really stupid that is causing this not to work. Like most things these days the process is poorly documented by the software company and I'm having to rely upon intuition.

Thanks again - any more ideas? I did go to the automated chat but that was as worthless as most of my experiences with automated chats.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2023 8:35 AM in response to OldManDa

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I blasted my old app-spec pw and created a new one it is 16 digits in pairs of four separated by dashes.

I went to add email account in Outlook.

I entered my icloud email.

I pasted in my app-spec pw and clicked the eye to verify it.

Outlook creates a folder on the side bar with my Outlook email. But I get a message "We couldn't create the Outlook data file."

There is nothing in the Icloud folder in Outlook.

This is a little frustrating. I'm not a half wit although I may be doing something really stupid that is causing this not to work. Like most things these days the process is poorly documented by the software company and I'm having to rely upon intuition.

Thanks again - any more ideas? I did go to the automated chat but that was as worthless as most of my experiences with automated chats.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Jan 7, 2023 6:12 PM in response to OldManDa

Hello OldManDa,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand you are trying to input an app-specific password for your Apple ID with Outlook. Since you've already generated one successfully, and the issue seems to be with Outlook not accepting it, we'd recommend revoking the password and obtaining a new one. Use the steps from this article: Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords

How to revoke an app-specific password
You can have up to 25 active app-specific passwords. If you need to, you can revoke passwords individually or all at once.

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select the Remove button A minus sign inside of a circle. next to a password you want to delete, or Revoke All.

Reply back with any additional questions.

Take care.

Jan 7, 2023 6:21 PM in response to OldManDa

OldManDa Said:

"app-specific password doesn't work with outlook: How do I get an app-specific password to work with Outlook?"

-------

Getting a new App Password:

I remember chatting with Microsoft not too long ago, and going through this to set up other accounts to be accessed on MailOutlook, and on other Apps.

While in Hotmail, Go To:

1. User Name(Top-Right)
  2. View account (Second Option Down)
  3. Security (third tap in from top-left)
  4. More security options (Far-Right)
  5. App passwords (Third Pane Down)
  6. Create a new app password
  7. Click Done
  8. Use the app password provided for a synchronized app

You might need to chat with Microsoft about this. So, Go Here: Contact Us - Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

Jan 8, 2023 3:09 AM in response to OldManDa

Apple needs to update that support page because it is sloppy and mis guiding. Seems the writer went home early or boss was on vacation that day..

Under 'How to generate an app-specific password' - number 4 says to paste the password into the app. While true, it does not indicate what user-name to use. The page needs another section or bulletpoint referring to what you are trying to sync (for example: Just mail. OR just mail and calendar).....

it also needs clarifying on whether you can sign in with your alias email, or how to adjust those settings after signing in.

anyway, sign in with your apple id email.. the one for icloud.com

use the password that was generated. dont use your actual icloud password, you dont want that to get in the hands of microsoft. I would change password if you kept entering your actual icloud password in attempt to make this work. Also, you have to make sure your new device (the one that you are troubleshooting) is popping up under your icloud - under devices. Then make sure the options to sync match both on your icloud and the device you are trying to sign in to..

Jan 8, 2023 1:47 PM in response to OldManDa

OldManDa Said:

Thanks again - any more ideas? I did go to the automated chat but that was as worthless as most of my experiences with automated chats.“

———-

You are welcome.

A. App Passwords:

An app password is there because you are logging in using a third-party app. Just think about it: If anyone knew your password, then they would be getting all of your eMails. All eMail providers should be like that, and if they don’t use an app password, then don’t use that email address on your device device.

B. Automated Chats:

Chats are automated until you get to a Paterson. So keep selecting unsuccessfully results until you can chat with someone.

Jan 8, 2023 4:40 PM in response to OldManDa

OldManDa Said:

"app-specific password doesn't work with outlook: Problem solved. I somehow had two profiles on Outlook. I sure didn't mean to as I NEVER fool with multiple profiles on a pc. The "NoName" profile had my icloud on it but without any data. So, I got rid of the NoName profile and was able to hook up icloud on Outlook. Thanks to all who replied."

-------

You are welcome.

👍 Excellent job troubleshooting.

app-specific password doesn't work with outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.