You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New, delete and junk feature in messages is junk

I have now hit delete and junk instead of just delete at least 10 times. The teeniest slip of your finger and you delete and report as junk. Someone responded to this from the Apple forum in September with Instructions that do not work. There does not appear to be a way to unjunk something. There is no Settings/Messages/SMSMMS section on my phone to remove a button umber from a list. Does this block other messages from this user coming through? Is there a way to get rid of that button or move it further down so you don’t keep hitting it by mistake? Since there was a way to easily junk messages in the past, this is not an effective feature and does not appear to have been user tested adequately.

iPhone 12

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 5:10 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 6, 2023 7:02 AM in response to Jomachmb

I'd like to try and help you out with this but I'm unsure of where these buttons are that are too close to each other.

I see that you are using an iPhone 12, what iOS are you running?

To find out:

Settings, >General, >About

I'm running iOS 16 and I just happened to get an unsolicited text moments ago. I took a screenshot of it. I have a "Report Junk" link, but I don't see a "delete" anywhere on this screen.

Outside here, in the list of messages, I can slide this particular thread to the left and I have the option of silencing or delete (trashcan icon) but no I don't see a "report" option.

Jan 6, 2023 8:51 AM in response to Pilerman

I just clicked the "Report Junk" link that was underneath their text. I might have found what you were talking about!

After clicking the link, there was a box that popped up at the bottom of my screen that said "Delete and Report Junk".

That is all one button. You can't click on "Delete" or "Report Junk" separately, you can only click the entire button.

If you don't want to report it as junk, and you only want to delete it, you have a few options which are:

1. Touch and hold their message until the options appear and then choose "More". Then look at the lower left corner of your screen and you'll see a trash can, click on it. If that was the only message in the thread, the whole thread will be deleted and you'll be returned back to your message list.
  2. Leave out of the message and return to your message list. Touch on the thread and gently slide it to the left. You'll see a couple icons, click on the trash can.
  3. Leave out of the message and return to your message list. Touch on the thread and rapidly slide it to the left. Doing so will spawn a pop-up box at the bottom of your screen where you can choose from two different options. You can "Delete" or "Delete and Report Junk". This might be the two options that you were saying were too close together. I didn't find it hard to choose the appropriate action.

Jan 6, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Pilerman

Thank you for the responses, but you guys are not seeing what I am, and I probably was not clear. Whenever I go to delete any text message, the message that pops up makes you confirm delete. Right below it is delete and report junk and then there’s some thing after that. I will attach a screenshot. Every time I go to delete a text message that option shows up and it’s brand new on 16.1.2 which is what I’m running. I know there is a 16.2 and I will try and upgrade to that but I don’t think it will go away because this is a new feature with the last upgrade and it does not work very well for me. There were other comments about this in the forum as well .

New, delete and junk feature in messages is junk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.