You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't get past the blinking question mark on startup

tried to erase Mac to pass on to another. I apparently erased the startup disk. Upon startup, I just get a blinking folder with a question mark in it. I can't get any further.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 2:55 AM

Was the method from Apple uSed to Erase the Drive

link below

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Then this method from Apple to commence the reinstallation

link below

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Important : in the second step, it will Require a Functioning Internet Connection as it will need to communicate the the Apple Servers to re-download the Operating System

It is suggest to use an Ethernet Cable to Router for a more reliable and speedy connection.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2023 2:55 AM in response to kathrnlnc

Was the method from Apple uSed to Erase the Drive

link below

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Then this method from Apple to commence the reinstallation

link below

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Important : in the second step, it will Require a Functioning Internet Connection as it will need to communicate the the Apple Servers to re-download the Operating System

It is suggest to use an Ethernet Cable to Router for a more reliable and speedy connection.

can't get past the blinking question mark on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.