You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail behaviors

Why do "Rules" never work in Mail? When you create them you can get them to Apply when you first write them, never again. I want mail identified as JUNK to automatically delete. I have tries every configuration of a rule and they never work.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 3:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 6:14 AM

If you are dealing with Junk messages make sure you configure properly. I suspect the Junk settings are not quite set correctly. Like maybe telling Mail to leave Junk mail in the inbox?? Also, since you're dealing with Junk messages, rather than create a Rule in the Rules tab, use "Perform Custom Action" inside the Junk mail settings.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2023 6:14 AM in response to jantrader

If you are dealing with Junk messages make sure you configure properly. I suspect the Junk settings are not quite set correctly. Like maybe telling Mail to leave Junk mail in the inbox?? Also, since you're dealing with Junk messages, rather than create a Rule in the Rules tab, use "Perform Custom Action" inside the Junk mail settings.

Jan 8, 2023 7:38 AM in response to jantrader

Have ben using the Standard Apple Junk Filter and yes it puts the Blocked etc e-mails into Junk as the illustration form @ Randall_2023 has supplied.

Even in the " Blocked " Tab of Junk filters it will only put to Junk folder

Easiest method I have found, is to use from image below

It would, Technically Satisfy " I want it to delete so I never see it "

Jan 8, 2023 6:18 AM in response to Randall_2023

Thanks for the reply, but no. I do not have that boxed checked, I have asked for custom to delete. I have tried every configuration I can think of. For some reason my icloud.com acct has been found and I get hundreds of junk emails. They do go to Trash but I want them deleted. At least I can perform a command-option-J to get rid of them all in one fell swoop.

Apple Mail behaviors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.