You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac in Ventura Extremely Slow Loading Photos

My photos app is really slow loading anything. But, for sure loading offline photos. Local photos show thumbnails fast. But, accessing them take about a minute. Offline thumbnails take forever and forever to access a photo.

I used to Aperture some time ago (really miss that app). I moved everything to photos. However, I left good amount of my photos offline and referenced. I didn't want to move that locally back to my MacBook as it would take too much space.

Anyway, I have already done rebuilds/repair of library. Took over a month to do this. I have done multiple times as well. Very painful.

Even when I access single photo (double clicking or space bar), its' very slow showing the photo. It could take up to 10 minutes. It varies from 30 seconds to 10. Depends on how many photos are in that album if I had be already sitting in that album for a while. For example, I have album with 29 photos in it. Just to see the thumbnails, it can take a few minutes. And, even more painful is that I leave the album to view another one and come back, it does it again from scratch.

This same photos/albums used to work fine. This all started after upgrading to Ventura. When upgrading to Ventura, it forced me to rebuild/repair photos library.

By the way, the offline photos are in my NAS. When I access via Finder, photos/videos appear almost installing. I can do Quick Look and move up and down very quickly to view the same photos. So, network/storage are fine.

My Library file on my Mac is 243 GB. I have about 20K photos and 1900 videos.

Anyone seen this?

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 8:57 AM

For anyone that runs into this, I got it working with much better speeds. I ended up changing how I mounted (connected) the NAS share where my reference photos are located.

For example, I was connecting this way:

afp://<NAS_drive_name>._afpovertcp._tcp.local/

The folder that my photos are in are a level below:

afp://<NAS_drive_name>._afpovertcp._tcp.local/<share_name>

I ended mounting directly to the full path and it was night and day.

Anyway, all working back to original speeds and functionality.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2023 8:57 AM in response to TranceMe

For anyone that runs into this, I got it working with much better speeds. I ended up changing how I mounted (connected) the NAS share where my reference photos are located.

For example, I was connecting this way:

afp://<NAS_drive_name>._afpovertcp._tcp.local/

The folder that my photos are in are a level below:

afp://<NAS_drive_name>._afpovertcp._tcp.local/<share_name>

I ended mounting directly to the full path and it was night and day.

Anyway, all working back to original speeds and functionality.

Jan 9, 2023 10:32 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Most of user comments are around the Library being offline and issues there.

I want to add that I imported the Aperture library via normal Photo library import. Meaning, Apple supports importing the Aperture library. I did that and no issues and Photos never complained about reference files.

Again, UI even has it:

But, yes, I see your point. Being there doesn't mean Apple fully supports it. Meaning, as you mentioned, referenced via direct drive.

Photos is awesome when it works. But, fails a lot. I'm constantly fixing family Photos library and they are doing it by the book all locally.

Jan 9, 2023 9:52 AM in response to TranceMe

Photos works with picture files connected by a real wire, not over a network. The only exception to this is syncing with iCloud.com, which is a completely different process. As Yer_Man says, Photos isn't really intended to be used for access to pictures kept outside its Library-- it works with pictures copied into its Library package. Photos is primarily an organization tool with pretty powerful editing features.

So, it does what it's supposed to do very well, but it sucks at doing things it was never intended to do.

Jan 9, 2023 9:52 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the time in responding. But, this worked fine for years. I even spoke to Apple about it. They said I'm not doing anything wrong. But, they just generically said to rebuild the Library. Keep in mind, the library is local. The references are offline. That is supported. Otherwise, the UI would not have support for Reference files management. I know it's not a replacement for Aperture. I have tried many other solutions. They are either very expensive or simply not as friendly to use.

Jan 9, 2023 10:08 AM in response to TranceMe

"The references are offline. That is supported."

I think that it was supported in a "well, that might work for awhile" sort of way. Photos is intended to be a single user system. It works with wire connected drives. Networking libraries isn't and hasn't been supported. It may have worked some, but that was never what Photos was for. Frankly, I can't find anything from Apple that says that, but there are many confirming references from users available.

Jan 9, 2023 10:27 AM in response to TranceMe

But, this worked fine for years.

You were lucky, frankly. Photos has no concept of 'Offline'. Search the Help, the word isn't even mentioned. So, while some things are possible with Photos, there's a big difference between that and being supported. A referenced library is possible, but Photos has exactly one command that relates to file management - and that's to consolidate a referenced to a managed Library. Every other file management task, adding and deleting files, moving them (and good luck with that) and so on, all the basics you need to actually run a referenced library, are absent.

I don't see a solution for you with Photos. Best of luck.

Jan 9, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks. I see your point. Plus this app is poorly maintained as well. So, pushing it slightly out of bounds doesn't work well. Any large libraries seems to cause problems as well. My family all complains about theirs a well. And, they aren't doing anything fancy. Local storage completely. Again, thanks for response.

Feb 2, 2023 2:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

I don't remember the support agents name. And, I didn't specifically ask if referenced photos are supported because like I said above, the UI clearly shows the option for reference photos. But, we did discuss the photos being on my NAS. He said that is okay (I used the word "fine"). We look at some logs in console around errors in accessing the file. While on the phone, I came up with the idea how I was mounting the folder. He said to try mounting directly. And, like magic, it all work starting working fine.

You need to keep in mind that I'm not talking about the Library location. Which he said I should have located on the NAS. I'm talking about the photo itself. For example, you can easily drag a photo from a folder on a NAS and import in Photos just fine. No warning pops up.

Anyway, it's possible this agent didn't know what he was talking about. Do you have the link/doc that you can post here? Would be good for people to read that as the reference. And, yes, although it's working for me and the Apple support agent didn't tell me different, does it's make it truly supported. I agree. However, if you have that info to post here, I think that would helpful for others.

Photos for Mac in Ventura Extremely Slow Loading Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.