You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is 22 GB not enough room to save one video to an almost empty thumb drive?

Why is 22 GB not enough room to save one video to an almost empty 256GB thumb drive?

Why won’t my stupid iPad let me save one video from iMovie to anywhere?

There is no way that a half hour video takes 22GB and even if that were possible, there is no reason why it shouldn’t save to dropbox, to icloud which supposedly has way more room than my iPad memory or anywhere else where it won’t use memory for storage?

So much for artificial intelligence. Simple tasks are beyond it’s capabilities.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 10:12 AM

Assuming that your thumb-drive is formatted as FAT32, the maximum individual file size is 4GB. As your video file is 22GB, it cannot be stored as a single file on FAT32 formatted storage devices.

If formatted as exFAT (i.e., FAT64), this limitation is removed.

Should formatting and/or partitioning ever be required, this must be performed using a separate computer; iPad does not provide any facilities to format an external storage device. To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. Microsoft NTFS and other proprietary device formatting are not supported. 

More information about connection to external devices and storage can be found in the iPad User Guide - along with other frequently overlooked information about your iPad and iPadOS:

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Bicyclesnowplow

Assuming that your thumb-drive is formatted as FAT32, the maximum individual file size is 4GB. As your video file is 22GB, it cannot be stored as a single file on FAT32 formatted storage devices.

If formatted as exFAT (i.e., FAT64), this limitation is removed.

Should formatting and/or partitioning ever be required, this must be performed using a separate computer; iPad does not provide any facilities to format an external storage device. To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. Microsoft NTFS and other proprietary device formatting are not supported. 

More information about connection to external devices and storage can be found in the iPad User Guide - along with other frequently overlooked information about your iPad and iPadOS:

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Jan 9, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Bicyclesnowplow

22 GB is the free space on my iPad. The thumb drive is almost empty there is no way it is even Apple. And since the video file is nowhere near 22 GB because it already had a saved copy on my iPad but it wouldn’t allow me to transfer it onto iCloud or onto the thumb drive or to put it anywhere else. I hope that improves the understanding that there is 22 GB of free space on my iPad.

Would you love Apple voice recognition is trying to type this and getting it all screwed up?

Why is 22 GB not enough room to save one video to an almost empty thumb drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.