You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just want to add a printer to my iPad and not airprint

I want to add a printer to my iPad

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 2:05 PM

Hi,

The normal way to print from an iPad is via a Wi-Fi router and an AirPrint-enabled printer (see list in the article About AirPrint) connected to the same network. AirPrint is an Apple technology, and should not be confused with wireless printing in general.

If the printer is not an AirPrint-compatible model, you would need a special iPadOS app from the printer manufacturer (such an app is available for some wireless printer models).

An iPad must connect wirelessly. Printing by cable directly to the iPad is not supported.

If you have a USB printer and a OS X 10.9 Mavericks or newer Mac computer (with appropriate printer drivers), you could perhaps have a look at a third-party Mac application called Printopia. The Mac (connected to a Wi-Fi router) would act as a print server, thus allowing wireless iPad printing via the network.

If additional information is needed, please post back with the exact printer model.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 2:05 PM in response to Lindalou569

Hi,

The normal way to print from an iPad is via a Wi-Fi router and an AirPrint-enabled printer (see list in the article About AirPrint) connected to the same network. AirPrint is an Apple technology, and should not be confused with wireless printing in general.

If the printer is not an AirPrint-compatible model, you would need a special iPadOS app from the printer manufacturer (such an app is available for some wireless printer models).

An iPad must connect wirelessly. Printing by cable directly to the iPad is not supported.

If you have a USB printer and a OS X 10.9 Mavericks or newer Mac computer (with appropriate printer drivers), you could perhaps have a look at a third-party Mac application called Printopia. The Mac (connected to a Wi-Fi router) would act as a print server, thus allowing wireless iPad printing via the network.

If additional information is needed, please post back with the exact printer model.

Just want to add a printer to my iPad and not airprint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.