You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to upgrade my Apple watch series 2 to be compatible with my new Iphone 14?

Do I have to upgrade my Apple watch series 2 to be compatible with my new Iphone 14?

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 7:20 AM

It looks like you'd need to update your watch.

My statement is based on this:

- watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:

• Apple Watch Series 4
  • Apple Watch Series 5
  • Apple Watch SE
  • Apple Watch Series 6
  • Apple Watch Series 7
  • Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch Ultra

Not all features are available on all devices or in all regions or languages.

Which I got from here:

watchOS 9 - Apple

But... I'm not sure how recent of a watchOS update a Series 2 is capable of. Maybe a Series 2 can't be updated to wOS 9. If that's true, then there might still be a chance!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2023 7:20 AM in response to gvahearn

It looks like you'd need to update your watch.

My statement is based on this:

- watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:

• Apple Watch Series 4
  • Apple Watch Series 5
  • Apple Watch SE
  • Apple Watch Series 6
  • Apple Watch Series 7
  • Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch Ultra

Not all features are available on all devices or in all regions or languages.

Which I got from here:

watchOS 9 - Apple

But... I'm not sure how recent of a watchOS update a Series 2 is capable of. Maybe a Series 2 can't be updated to wOS 9. If that's true, then there might still be a chance!

Jan 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to gvahearn

Theoretically fully updated series 2 (OS 6.3) will pair with any iphone. Ensure the iphone 14 is on iOS 16.2

However pairing series 3 is 50:50 chance with a following wind, series 2 is even more difficult, simply down to the low RAM that these 6 year old designs have.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Or get a new watch - even an SE2022 is a quantum leap over the series 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.