You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2017 24” iMac with a Fusion HD (SSD & hard disk). I erased all of that. How do I restore now??

The 2017 imac was getting slower and then died. I could not mount the hard drive to do first aid. I do have a bootable external. I brought up the computer there and tried to run first aid … no good. I figured I would restore from that but would not work.

So I bought a 2021 M1 Mac. I got that all up and running.

Time to sell or destroy the 2017. But how do I erase stuff now that the drives are down. So I boot it up again with the external drive and a miracle happened and I got access to the internal drive of the 2017. I erased everything including the SSD and the Disk in the fusion drive.

For the heck of it I ran DU first aid and now all the drives look good #@$%^!@.

So I would like to restore the system back on the 2017. Then sell it at a cheap price and provide the history.

But… Since I erased everything the recovery files are gone right? I cannot get the restore to work in DU when I boot from the external. If I have that unhooked and hold down command R all I get is the internet recover. is that my only option to restore?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 4:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 4:35 PM

To prepare it for resell, see > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

I have a 2017 24” iMac with a Fusion HD (SSD & hard disk). I erased all of that. How do I restore now??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.